1) How do I see my poast Questions; 2) How do I preview a drafted diary?

pixxer

23 Jun, 2018 04:37 AM

Sure I've asked this before, but first...

1) I don't see "your previous questions" anywhere. Since I draft diaries with fussy formatting only rarely, I'll forget the answer (again) before I need it so... how do I find where I asked this before?

2) Since the diary draft is not WYSIWYG, I need to preview it, so the paragraphs start in the right places etc. How do I preview my draft, so I am not madly editing formatting after the diary is published at the group's specified time (i.e. when people are already reading it)?

Thanks a bunch

1. 1 Posted by siab on 24 Jun, 2018 02:26 PM

There is no actual preview function. The editor is semi-WYSIWYG, in that it gives you a general preview that will subsequently be re-formatted for a dozen or more different devices/screens. Much as I miss being able to exactly place my own stuff, I pretty much gave up on fussy when tablets and cellphones made it necessary to run multiple versions of the same postings. The days of desktop formatting have waved a fond goodbye.

The closest you might get would be to use the Daily Kos Beta site to test publish a diary, although I'm not certain it's currently fully compatible.

2. 2 Posted by openthinker1 on 29 Jun, 2018 02:02 AM

I think I know the answer to the first question. I just asked it myself, and then I figured it out. At least from the Support page, go to the top, and you'll see a tab that says "public discussions."

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Jun, 2018 02:39 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

If you're looking for your own previous questions, there is one major way to find them. Go to the Helpdesk while you're logged in and scroll down past the three options (Start a Discussion, Browse Discussions, Knowledge Base). You'll then see your open discussions and an option to view all of your discussions. (I'd suggest a link directly to your "home page" of actions at the Help Desk but it's keyed to a userID number that is related to the Help Desk software, not to our own userID system.)

As for the WYSIWYG question, siab's suggestion is as good as any, really. There is no more preview function for posts. It's as close to WYSIWIG as we can get, and even with the standard browsers we do have some variation between displays in draft and posted modes, unfortunately. No secret there.

I will suggest, however, that in the case of text you're copying and pasting from other sites, it's always a good idea to paste it into a text editor first, to strip out the invisible formatting that the C&P might pick up, and then copy it from there into your draft. Taking this step will help reduce the incidence of unexpected breaks and the like.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2018 02:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac