User name

Inland Jim

19 May, 2018 07:52 PM

Can I change my user name? If so, how?

1. 1 Posted by oleson31 on 20 May, 2018 05:37 AM

I would also like to change my nickname from a pseudonym to my real name. I had thought that Daily Kos would use my blog name for entries that I posted.

2. 2 Posted by Nova Land on 20 May, 2018 01:03 PM

There's a simple way to get one's username changed. It's been used by a number of Daily Kos members, such as Angie in WA State.

Step one is to run for public office, such as the congressional seat in the district where you live. Step two is to then notify the help desk you're running for office and would like your username changed. They have generally accepted running for office as a reason to accomodate name change requests.

That's about the only reason they accept, though, so if you're not interested in running for public office it's a lot harder to get a username change. What you need to do in that case is travel back in time to before you've posted any comments or diaries and make your request then. Once you've made any comments the help desk is generally not willing to make username changes.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your congressional campaign if you decide to run.

3. 3 Posted by Timaeus on 20 May, 2018 04:26 PM

To the contrary, my impression is that they are generally willing to permit a new user name so long as you never, ever use the old name again. Or at least I'm pretty sure it used to be like that.

4. 4 Posted by Nova Land on 20 May, 2018 05:28 PM

We're both right.

You're right that the help desk is generally okay with people who currently have an (unbanned) account starting a brand new account using a new username if they don't ever post using the old account again. That is indeed one way to get a new username.

But I believe I'm right that in general there is not a way for people who have already posted comments under one username to change the username on their current account unless there are special circumstances, the most common of which being the person is running for public office.

That's one reason I posted that link to the Angela Marx diary in my previous comment. She originally had opened a new account as Angela Marx in order to have a new username; but in that case, since she was running for office, the help desk people were willing to change the username on her original Angie in WA State account (and to merge the two accounts), so that she was able to have a new username while keeping her old user account number and having all her old diaries and comments still associated with the account.

When people start a brand new account they lose their old account number (which people with lower account numbers are sometimes reluctant to do) and people won't be able to locate their old diaries and comments from the new account. That's why every so often there are threads here by people asking if they can have the username on their current account changed. And the answer is generally no.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 May, 2018 08:22 PM

Indeed, we do on occasion change the usernames of long-established accounts. The most common circumstance under which it is permissible arises from candidacy for public office -- but that is not a guaranteed change, either. In any event, it's not a frequent occurrence and it does require site administrators to implement.

If someone does have an established username here and wants to start posting under a different name (real name or another pseudonym) then yes, it is possible to do so, as long as the original account is 1) in good standing and 2) permanently abandoned. We don't have to know about it or sign off on the new account.

But whenever we hear of the topic we do hasten to remind people that both zombies (the return of banned users under other names) and sockpuppets (the presence of one user under multiple names in simultaneous or overlapping accounts) are prohibited under the site's Rules of the Road https://www.dailykos.com/rules-of-the-road

After reading this, anyone interested in pursuing the possibility in such a way that would require administrative action is welcome to open a private ticket about it here at Helpdesk.

Thanks for asking originally, and thanks to those who provided more details.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 21 May, 2018 08:22 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac