Two Questions, about Avatars (making a copyright safe selection) and Polls

Franks Human

12 May, 2018 02:59 AM

1. I haven't uploaded an Avatar to my profile because I'm just not sure where to get pictures that are not going to be in violation of somebody's rights. And can you use any photo? If I found something in the photo library, would that work as an Avatar photo? Or does it have to be small? I know this must be really easy, but I'm just not sure where to go. (Is there an app for that?) All I want to do is find something abstract, like a field of colorful cranberries, so I don't look like a grey ghostly presence on the site. I think that creeps people out.

2. Can you make a poll in which when someone answers the poll they see the answer to it? (Just to give you a generic, simple example: Yes or no question. When they click to see results, they see: "Answer: Yes." So they can guess what they think the answer is, and then see the answer once they commit to a guess.) I have a number of ideas for polling questions in which this would enrich the experience for readers, and give me useful information. Is that technically possible? Is there a way to add text that's only visible once they see the results?

(If not, can you make someone there believe this is his or her idea so they'll make it so?)

1. 1 Posted by siab on 12 May, 2018 03:51 AM

On Avatars - almost anything that small can be winked at under fair use - it's seldom that a thumbnail of any image draws a copyright complaint.

However, just about anything on wikipedia is going to be usable - double check for images that are licensed by Creative Commons to be sure. You can't put attribution on an avatar image, which kind of messes up the CC licensing agreement, so it's a toss up.

You could certainly use an image from the Image Library - if it was me, I'd check with whoever up uploaded it, as a courtesy, before I used it. To get a small image, copy the thumbnail on the left side, rather than the right hand image. You'll need to copy it to your own computer first, I think, since the avatar upload assumes you're uploading from your own computer, so when you have it, you can use something like Paint to change the size.

Best if the image is square - otherwise you're going to cut off the edges, so if the graphic you want is rectangular, save it into a square blank image with a white background and upload the square image. About 150 pixels square is about the largest you want to play with, because the more it has to be compressed on the site, the more you lose sharpness.

I don't think they've got anything on polls that would play the way you're suggesting, but good luck getting somebody interested. Out of my area of expertise.

2. 2 Posted by Franks Human on 12 May, 2018 04:08 AM

Thank you.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 May, 2018 06:40 PM

Hi, Franks Human, and thanks for both of your questions.

The answer supplied by siab is very detailed and for the most part should help you out. I'll add one comment, however: unfortunately, there's no guarantee whatsoever that an item in our Image Library has been put there appropriately. Under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, we can't patrol for copyright violations; we can only respond to challenges made by copyright holders. It's impossible for us to know whether a given image is legitimately uploaded, in other words, UNLESS there is an attribution to Getty Images or a similar source -- which probably is far too busy to make a good avatar -- or to an individual user who claims credit for the image. And yes, in the latter case, it would be an additional courtesy to let that user know your plans.

It's quite likely true that, as siab notes, an image the size of an avatar would pass unnoticed. I daresay, however, that if you were to post a Hello Kitty image (not that you would, but it's a ready example) it wouldn't be long before your unauthorized use of it would come to Sanrio's attention. Some entities are vigilant.

As for your second question, I confess to being unclear about what you're requesting. It is currently possible to see the poll results either after you answer, or before (with a notice in that case to inform you that it will be impossible to vote in the poll if you peek). Is there something else you had in mind?

4. 4 Posted by Franks Human on 14 May, 2018 06:52 PM

Thank you re: pics.

Yes, in addition to the RESULTS (which we can presently see), I wonder whether one can provide ADDITIONAL TEXT which provides the ANSWER. (I can ask you a yes/no question, you can guess what you believe the answer will be, click on results. You can now see how many people thought it was yes vs. no in the RESULTS. I'm wondering whether I could also provide the ANSWER in the form of text to that Yes/No question. But of course the Yes/No is an example. I would rather be able to provide a sentence-long answer in some cases.)

So my question is: Is it possible to provide ADDITIONAL TEXT that can only be seen once people answer the poll question.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 May, 2018 07:06 PM

Oh, thanks, I see now. You mean display an answer in the case where the vote is in reference to something factual, not merely assessing an opinion. My bias in assuming it's not an opinion poll but an actual test of knowledge that you had in mind!

I am not sure, to be honest. It's a possibility. I'll pass along the suggestion to see if the folks who make the decisions about design find it interesting enough to devote developer time to the change. Thank you for raising the issue.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 14 May, 2018 07:06 PM.

7. Franks Human re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2018 07:28 PM

8. 6 Posted by Franks Human on 14 May, 2018 07:28 PM

Thank you. So it sounds like you know for sure we can't do that now (add additional text)?

Thanks for suggesting it to someone. I can think of multiple expressive uses of this. I have an MA in Ed. and could see designing semi-formal research (with huge limitations) using this ability..... All the way to I can see expressing humor, satire, etc., through such an ability (to use the polling this way).

Thanks.

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 May, 2018 07:44 PM

Yes, for sure we cannot do that now.

For every feature/option we add, there's a long tail of considerations, ranging from creating the design, layout, and user workflow, to writing the code without breaking existing functions, and then to ensuring support on a wide range of browsers.... So even a very good idea in the abstract may in the end not be a high priority relative to other site design considerations. We shall see.

10. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 14 May, 2018 07:44 PM.

11. Franks Human re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2018 10:26 PM

12. 8 Posted by Franks Human on 14 May, 2018 10:26 PM

Thank you.

13. 9 Posted by aoeu on 15 May, 2018 02:08 AM

Another source of free images is flickr.
    https://www.flickr.com/
    you can search for nearly anything and sort out copyright images.

14. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 May, 2018 04:00 AM

It would be nice to have emojis available here sometimes. ;) Thanks, aoeu.

15. 11 Posted by Franks Human on 15 May, 2018 08:00 PM

Thank you aoeu.

16. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 May, 2018 08:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac