what's with the new group trending?

Besame

06 May, 2018 06:43 PM

I see it in the left panel of some stories from the community as a "Published to" soon after they publish and often when the story only has a couple Rec's and few comments. Other stories with similarly few Recs/Comments are not republished to trending. The group's profile page has one member (trending) and no group explanation.

So I'm curious.

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 06 May, 2018 08:28 PM

I've been watching and wondering the same thing. "trending" is supposedly the user name of the person who created the group but there is no such user. WTF?

2. 2 Posted by Flowergirl77 on 07 May, 2018 01:20 AM

I thought maybe it says trending now instead of recommended under the published to as some kind of format change. I noticed it about the same time the whole color change thing happened. A diary used to say recommended there when you got a certain number of recs per whatever time period and if it continued you got the tag. Now it seems to say "trending" instead. I never see "Recommended" there anymore.

I don't know why it has a lower case "t" on "trending" though. That bugs me.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 07 May, 2018 01:43 AM

Flowergirl77, I still see Recommended often. The diary I wrote a couple of days ago earned the Recommended tag (it's still on the diary, of course; I just checked) and the Recommended List is still a part of the Front Page every day. Naturally, any diary that shows on the Recommended List will have that tag, too.

"Trending," however, is shown as a group.
    https://www.dailykos.com/search?user_type=is_group_only&search_type=search_groups&text_type=description&text_expand=contains&text=trending&time_type=time_created&time_begin=Start+Date&time_end=End+Date&submit=Search
    The group listing/description shows only person in the group, supposedly a user named "trending." However, searching for a user named "trending" gives no results.
    https://www.dailykos.com/search?user_type=is_user_only&search_type=search_users&text_type=username&text_expand=exact&text=trending&time_type=time_created&time_begin=Start+Date&time_end=End+Date&submit=Search

4. 4 Posted by aoeu on 07 May, 2018 03:56 AM

I surmise that Flowergirl77 is correct and trending has replaced Recommended. IIRC the temporary use of Recommended was for jotter in his statistical work.

aoeu

5. 5 Posted by Flowergirl77 on 07 May, 2018 04:13 AM

Eyesbright, the recommended tag is still the same, and the area on the front page is still the same, but under the "Published to" section it used to say "Recommended" if you were lucky enough to make that list; now it says "trending" instead. I haven't seen it say "Recommended" under "published to" since they made the last update. It used to be that when you published a diary you would see "Recommended" there sometimes for a while even if you didn't make the list or get the tag. Now it seems to say "trending" instead.

They do seem to be two different groups on the site - when you click on "Recommended" on the front page it takes you to the Recommended list view, but when you click on "trending" inside the diary it takes you to a "trending" list. It's almost like it's an update that isn't quite finished. This is all gross speculation on my part, though.

6. 6 Posted by aoeu on 07 May, 2018 04:15 PM

Recommended used to be used for two purposes in that spot.
    One was, as it still is, being on the Rec list.
    The other was that it was applied to diaries if they got one rec so jotter could count diaries that got at least one rec. That role is now being filled by trending. That's my opinion, anyway.

aoeu

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 May, 2018 06:05 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

Of course, our eagle-eyed readers have noticed the new group. :) Stay tuned for more information to be posted shortly on the main site.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 07 May, 2018 06:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac