Articles with comments closed...

wizodd

04 Apr, 2018 10:33 PM

I just got an email with the link to this story. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/4/5/1650392/-Moral-Mondays-Leader-Drops-the-Mic-at-MLK-March-in-Memphis?detail=emailLL

The story was posted this morning, but comments were already closed when the email to me was sent.

Seems like a very short comment period.

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 04 Apr, 2018 10:35 PM

It's dated April 5, **2017**

2. 2 Posted by wizodd on 04 Apr, 2018 11:37 PM

That would explain everything but why it was in the bloody email

3. 3 Posted by Cyclopsgirl on 06 Apr, 2018 12:51 AM

I’ve got similar issues. Occasionally an article will appear on the Front Page, but it’s actually a day or two old already when it appears on FP, so I’ll get the message about it being too old to rec comments (that’s usually when I realize it’s not a brand new article).

For example, see the attached screenshot. The first article (by Laura Clawson, about Tennessee Nazi legislation) is already old, and was not showing for me on FP earlier today or yesterday.

Note that I’m viewing on my iPhone, not desktop. I presume the first article is the newest...is that not correct? Do community articles sometimes get moved to FP? I’m still figuring this place out. :-)

4. 4 Posted by Cyclopsgirl on 06 Apr, 2018 12:57 AM

Meant to clarify that the screenshot was taken today.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Apr, 2018 04:26 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

Yes, it's the case sometimes that very old posts get included in the Daily Kos Recommended emails. That is especially common for particular events or dates, such as this 50th anniversary of MLK's assassination. Often they're marked in such a way to alert people to the posts' age (and closed status) but obviously not always.

As for the second issue, that is also possible, regrettably enough. There is always going to be a bit of a lag between the publication of a post and then the dissemination of it via an email. Then sometimes, yes, Front Page stories are published first to the sidebar as a Recent Story (even though they're by staff authors) and then posted to the Front Page later. I think that's to reduce pressure on the Front Page real estate, though I'm not positive about that.

In any case, it is possible to recommend a story forever (or at least as much as forever as we'll know). Tip Jars remain open to recs for one week. Stories remain open to comments and replies for nine days. So there are still ways to interact with posts even after the first 24 hours have passed.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 06 Apr, 2018 04:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac