Facebook shares question

Neapolitan

13 Feb, 2018 11:07 PM

NABD, but I'm wondering whether there's a way to see how many facebook shares some of the individual diaries get. I'm asking, as I recently published a diary that has gathered what I would consider an inordinate number of facebook shares. Ther's nothing wrong with that, of course; we all want virality. But there are so many more than I've ever seen that I'm wondering whether there's some programmatic bot at work. I've looked at the "High Impact Post" diary, but there's no help there.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Feb, 2018 11:39 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

Yes, it looks like your most recent post did go at least modestly viral. Congratulations!

I can appreciate your skepticism, but we don't know what drives numbers like these either. It's FB that tracks them, and at that not always as well as we'd like. (Occasionally, through nothing that we do, FB resets these counts to zero for reasons they have never adequately explained.) It's impossible to tell whether there's something automated involved in achieving a high share count -- but it's also not unusual, I will say, for there to be viral posts that originate at Daily Kos.

Someone on staff probably keeps track of these numbers, but I don't have them handy. We have had some posts exceed a million shares, a truly remarkable reach. Obviously, they're rare.

The "High Impact Posts" measure entirely different aspects of a post's success, so you're right, that won't help you any.

If you have other questions, please feel free to ask. Meanwhile, enjoy!

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 13 Feb, 2018 11:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac