How do you flag someone or a post, and can I block someone ?

metlmayden

11 Jan, 2018 03:07 PM

More questions from the Newbie.....

I took the time to read through rules of community, etc , could not find info on how to flag a post, or a person.

Also, is it possible to block a person ?

Any input or insight is helpful, thank you very much in advance

1. 1 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 11 Jan, 2018 03:56 PM

I assume you are referring to "Rules of the Road," link below:
    https://www.dailykos.com/rules-of-the-road Be sure to check the section which says "DO NOT."
    You cannot flag for disagreement, even if you believe the other person is wrong. You cannot flag someone with whom you are having a discussion or argument.

Flags can only be given by Trusted Users (TU) who have a blue badge under the avatar on their personal page. Misuse of flags or even misuse of uprates, can cause a user to be placed on "NR" status, which is loss of rating privileges altogether.

One does not become a TU until they have been here at least 90 days, and have participated enough to get three bars of mojo. That is the little image that looks like a phone signal strength icon, right under your avatar.

It is not possible to "block" other users. However, the recommended way of dealing with annoying people is to use the power of 'IGNORE'; i.e., simply ignore them, don't acknowledge them, and walk away from toxic behavior. There are always going to be people with whom you disagree, who irritate you, and who insert off-topic comments. There is nothing written anywhere that you must respond to, or acknowledge, an annoying comment. In those cases, silence is the best option.

I hope this clarifies things for you. BTW, I am not a moderator, just a long-time user who tries to help out at the Help Desk when I can.

An addnote: This is a politically oriented site. Politics and blogging, like democracy itself, can be messy at times. If you have a thin skin or are easily offended, it may be best to do your blood pressure a favor, and take up another hobby.

2. 2 Posted by metlmayden on 11 Jan, 2018 04:08 PM

Thanks for the response.
    but I'll be more specific...
    I am unable to see HOW to flag someone or an inappropriate post anywhere.

The other day I made a short reply to a fellow atheist's post ,
    that my family and I are also atheists.
    This morning someone named Mary made a comment directed at ME ,
    and not to BOTH of us atheists, she went on and on about the usual Christian tangent about how she found god, etc, which, as an atheist , I found incredibly offensive to be preached at--- after stating I have no belief in any god, whatsoever

3. 3 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 11 Jan, 2018 04:21 PM

Perhaps I should have been more clear on the flag thing. Once you have been here at least 90 days and have three bars of mojo, a blue TU badge will appear on your personal page. At that time, a flag symbol will appear next to the "Recommend" icon at the bottom of each comment. Then, and only then, will you see it.

However, as I said before, you cannot flag for disagreement or annoying behavior on the part of other users. If someone persists in following you around for several days, trying to start a fight; more than just a few comment in a single diary/story, that might be considered stalking. Persistent stalking is reportable, and should be taken to the Help Desk as a private matter under the community standard and moderation topic. Calling out other users in public is not advisable.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Jan, 2018 04:24 PM

Please read the reply you received from Otteray Scribe more carefully. It is indeed very good and thorough, and it answers the questions you raise again here.

YOU cannot flag anyone at this point. You have not been here long enough, with a solid track record, to gain Trusted User status, which is what is necessary to be able to throw a flag.

Furthermore, even if you did have that capacity, flags are NOT to be thrown against a commenter with whom you are in discussion. That policy is to discourage retaliatory behavior. If comments are objectionable enough according to site rules to merit flagging, other users understand that it is expected for them to do so.

And lastly, the very best way to discourage unwanted behavior is not to attend to it.

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 Jan, 2018 04:24 PM.

6. metlmayden re-opened this discussion on 11 Jan, 2018 04:45 PM

7. 5 Posted by metlmayden on 11 Jan, 2018 04:45 PM

OK, now I understand.

Thank you both so very much for the clarification.
    In the future , I will do the mature thing, and ignore the comment altogether.

I really appreciate the help and insight.

Have a great day.

8. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 11 Jan, 2018 05:04 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac