Do Not Follow Tag

linkage

07 Nov, 2017 06:03 PM

Is there a way to put a "do not follow" tag on a URL embedded in a DK article? I would like to do articles about "bad" websites and I would like to link to them, but include the "do not follow" tag.

JON

1. 1 Posted by aoeu on 08 Nov, 2017 02:18 AM

I don't know why you would link to a bad website but one safe way would be to defang the URL by not including the entire thing. ttp://badsite.com or whatever.

Test edit in progress
    complete

https://slashdot.org

ttps://slashdot.org

slashdot.org

https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1713127/68287571

At the main site none of these are live two of them are recognized by firefox as URLs if selected and right clicked.

2. 2 Posted by linkage on 08 Nov, 2017 04:57 PM

I believe there is some merit in the "link economy" idea of hyperlinking to sources. On the other hand Daily Kos users should not be "out linking" to Conservative Republican websites or Russian websites. Users should have a option to document their statements by linking, but be able to make a "value" judgment on the "quality" of the link by having a choice about using the "no follow" tag inline with the inserting of the URL. While trying to figure this out I noticed many dialog boxes like the used on Daily Kos have a "no follow" check box along with the ability to insert the URL. If Daily Kos added this feature it would allow users to make a choice. Rather than have to garble the URL as you suggest. This is formalizing the process and not leaving the issue up to users to defang.

JON

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Nov, 2017 09:40 PM

Here's another method that might meet your needs a little better. It provides the information a user would need, but it's NOT represented as a hyperlink.

Act as though you're going to add a hyperlink -- that is, click on the tool that you would usually use to create a link. You'll see the usual dialog box with two windows, one for the URL and one for the display text. Paste the URL into the display text window and then click on Insert Link without entering anything in the URL window. Voilà! The URL will display without becoming a hyperlink and without being truncated.

Hope that helps!

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 08 Nov, 2017 09:40 PM.

5. linkage re-opened this discussion on 08 Nov, 2017 10:39 PM

6. 4 Posted by linkage on 08 Nov, 2017 10:51 PM

What I would like to have formalized is the option to add rel=”nofollow” to the HTML code. I found many plugins for Word Press that have extensive options for adding information to the URL in question.

I looks to me that one can not just add rel=”nofollow” to the native URL. The rel=”nofollow.” So this code needs to be added to the dialog box used to insert URLs into a Daily Kos article.

Who do I have to lobby to have Daily Kos add this feature to the site. Further, with this addition Daily Kos can set firm rules about linking to "bad" sites.

What is the formal procedure to have Daily Kos consider addressing this issue?

See attached photo of example used in a Word Press dialog box.

JON

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Nov, 2017 11:39 PM

I can create a ticket, certainly, and then the site developers will decide whether and when to address it with later site revisions.

In the meantime, since in any case it would not reach the top of the queue for quite a while, you might find the other option useful.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac