How do I post a link/url as plain text?

Throw The Bums Out

22 Sep, 2017 06:30 AM

Is there any way to post a link as plain text rather than a clickable link or embedded picture/video/etc so that anyone who wants to go there would need to manually copy and paste it rather than just clicking on it?

1. 1 Posted by siab on 22 Sep, 2017 08:36 AM

I believe that if you precede it with a backslash \ it prints as plain text, but if it's a full URL, simply highlighting it allows you to right click and access the site. If you really want to make using the links harder, you might want to spell it out; www dot linkname dot com slash pagename dot htm.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Oct, 2017 12:23 AM

Hi, TTBO, thanks for asking. Apologies for the very long delay in a reply.

The suggestion offered by siab does not work, as far as I can tell. But, oddly enough, there is a very easy way to make this happen. You will both find it funny, I suspect.

Act as though you're going to add a hyperlink -- that is, click on the link tool where you want the URL to appear. You'll see the usual dialog box with two windows, one for the URL and one for the display text. Paste the URL into the display text window and then click on Insert Link without entering anything in the URL window. Voilà! The URL will display without becoming a hyperlink and without being truncated.

(This falls into the category of "you learn something new every day," so thank you both.)

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 07 Oct, 2017 12:23 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac