Created new grp ...VOLUNTEERISM - from how many years back is it poss to reblog to it?

mettle fatigue

18 Sep, 2017 05:48 AM

Hello helpdesk.

The new group is here https://www.dailykos.com/blog/Volunteerism%20for%20a%20Better%20World and it's meant to continue from StateOfGrace's similarly named group that ceased publishing in 2014.

Because information about volunteerism across the years can be very useful and inspiring, I've been looking at diaries tagged this and related ways to reblog to the group that aren't in the earlier group's posting history, but I'm getting a "no permissions" kind of message for years 2007 thru 2010.

In the past, I've not had difficulty adding appropriate tags to really old diaries. Is this "no permissions" a different kind of tech issue? I.E., is likely to be a glitch of some kind, or is there time limit or specific year "divide" before which diaries cannot be reblogged? Or something else altogether?

Thanks for whatever info or guidance you can offer.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Sep, 2017 04:53 PM

We'll investigate, thanks.
    But it would be helpful to that inquiry to have a couple of examples of the posts that you were unable to republish to the new blog. Thanks for attaching a couple of links and -- if possible -- a screenshot of the error message you get. (It might take a couple of replies to attach what you have.)

2. 2 Posted by mettle fatigue on 19 Sep, 2017 02:52 AM

Thank you for the response. I'm not tech-smart enough to know how to do a screen-shot and it's possible my 3rd-hand computer doesn't have what it takes, either.

The error message about not having permission is slightly similar to the error message that appears when a comment is too old to reply to but just "young" enough that it still shows the reply button. Attempting to use that button in that situation generates a smallish box/window outlined in blue (at least it looks like a blue outline in FireFox) with a more-or-less white background and words more or less saying the comment is too old to reply to.
    Attempting to queue this 2009 diary by StateOfGrace https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2009/4/2/715787/-Volunteering-The-Best-Paying-Job-You-May-Ever-Have-w-Poll
    is one of the ones that generates a box sort of like that: on my screen I get a little horizontal rectangular box that's 3/5 white and contains in that portion of it the words "You do not have permission", and 2/5 pale gray lower portion of the box containing a blue-outlined "OK" button.
    Don't go to any great efforts about this, 'tho -- I've meanwhile found that I CAN link diaries like that within a diary of my own in order to bring them to reader attention in the present, and I doubt there are many other kosaks who have much interest in hunting back that far thru posting histories the way I do (I was a research librarian, so I'm not hung up on the notion that information/ideas that are "old" are by defintion stupid/obsolete/invalid) so trying to fix this might be work no one else could benefit from.
    Thanks again, very kind of you[s] to try.

On Monday, September 18, 2017 9:53 AM, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv4684436757 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv4684436757 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Sep, 2017 01:35 PM

Thanks for the alert about it. If you do have a feasible workaround, and it sounds like you do, then this question will go on the back burner for now. The queue is pretty crowded right now with issues that don't have other quick resolution.
    Of course, it's a good idea to make older resources readily available. Including a list with live links to such posts is definitely helpful.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 20 Sep, 2017 01:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac