Clarification: policy on endorsing violence

DiesIrae

02 Sep, 2017 03:40 PM

Over the last week there have been a number of posts here (I will not link them, as my intent is not to call out) which at least have the potential to run afoul of Daily Kos' policy on endorsing violence. From the Rules of the Road:

"DO NOT: Endorse or call for violence against anyone, public figure or private blogger, not even in jest. Claiming hyperbole, humor, or poetic license/justice is no excuse."

The posts in question do not usually endorse violence in a formal way. Rather they make excuses or justifications for it while stopping half an inch short of actually endorsing it. For example, some posters speak positively of the "effectiveness" of the beating that happened this week in Berkeley, or say more or less that the victim had it coming. Others discuss what they perceive as the necessity, as part of the resistance, of the threat of extra-legal violence against fascists, white supremacists, et cetera.

Are these sorts of comments flaggable? What qualifies as an endorsement of violence?

(I'll be clear: my personal belief is that any comment excusing or condoning violence, outside of a legal self-defense context, should also be hidden. I do not want Daily Kos associated with vigilantism in any way.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 02 Sep, 2017 04:44 PM

Yes, the policy against advocating violence still stands.

If you believe someone is in violation of this policy, please open a private ticket under Community and Moderation Issues with specific links and we'll look into it.

Thank you.

2. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 02 Sep, 2017 04:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac