How do I update and enter back into conversation a diary posted 2 years ago?

lagibby

16 Aug, 2017 03:55 PM

I wrote a diary in June, 2015, "Let's End the Civil War,"(https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/6/30/1398109/-Let-s-End-the-C...) which I believe is once again current. I thought I might be able to put it back into discussion by clicking on "update" and entering some new discussion. So I did that, and kick myself now for not keeping a copy. When I clicked "submit," it disappeared. I don't see it on the original diary. I don't see it in my "activity." I don't see it anywhere.

I tried searching Help topics for how to use the "update" feature, and found nothing.

So... is there a way to bring back that discussion -- not only the diary but some excellent comments that I didn't get around to reading until "comments are closed" and I couldn't even "rec" them?

1. 1 Posted by lagibby on 16 Aug, 2017 04:09 PM

Some progress: My update now appears at the bottom of the diary. But comments are still closed. How do I revive the discussion?

2. 2 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 16 Aug, 2017 07:16 PM

The only way to do that in order for comments to work is to re-publish your story anew. Suggest you do a rewrite with the updated material included. If you do that, you don't have to show it as an update; then simply publish as a new diary/essay.

3. 3 Posted by lagibby on 16 Aug, 2017 07:28 PM

So...do I copy and paste the 16 comments that are there now, along with the original diary (which I will top with my update)?
    Work for peace and reconciliation of the worldLagibby

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 3:16:09 PM EDT, Otteray Scribe <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

4. 4 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 16 Aug, 2017 07:33 PM

No, don't copy the comments. Just the story itself. Starting fresh lets you do whatever editing and polishing it might need, and folks can comment on the new story.

Fresh start is the best way.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Aug, 2017 08:12 PM

Thanks for asking.

The replies you have received from Otteray Scribe are good. You can also start from scratch with a completely new post, link to your older post, and include some passages from it (preferably set in block quotes so that it is clear to the reader that you're using another source).

If you were to copy and paste the older comments into this version now, then it would be counter productive. Those comments are associated with that post; there's no way to know how they'd feel about it now (or if those commenters are even here on the site to notice and participate). The oddness of the presentation would distract from the larger message you want to promote.

Far better to start anew.

Good luck.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 16 Aug, 2017 08:12 PM.

7. lagibby re-opened this discussion on 16 Aug, 2017 10:10 PM

8. 6 Posted by lagibby on 16 Aug, 2017 10:10 PM

Thanks! I'll do that. . . Tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Aug, 2017 01:24 AM

Sounds like a plan. You're welcome.

10. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2017 01:24 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac