Publishing after queuing to a group

jotter

16 Jul, 2017 06:10 PM

Since time immemorial (ever since there were groups?) I would write a diary as jotter, queue the diary to the group "High Impact Posts", publish, and the diary would show up as published both by me as well as by the High Impact Posts.

Due to a recent vacation, I realize that's not what has been happening. Ever since October 9, 2015 diaries I place in the queue of the HIP group sit there, unpublished by HIP, until I specifically navigate to that queue and publish it there.

Is that what was designed and intended, or am I experiencing a bug? As it stands, I have all diaries from October 9, 2015 through April 30 2017 queued for publication in HIP, whereas I thought I was publishing them.

Any chance someone can mass publish all those at once, to clear out my queue?

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Besame on 20 Jul, 2017 07:44 AM

No one answered yet but I know from my group publishing that since DK5 (IDKY yours began a month before DK5 went live) there's only one way to publish through the group and simultaneously have it publish to your personal blog. That is to schedule it or pub immediately from WITHIN the group's queue. Not from story editor even if you q'd it to the group. Of course once a diary publishes to your blog you can reblog it to the group.

Re publishing all at once from the Q IDK at all.

2. 2 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 20 Jul, 2017 07:25 PM

When I post for Morning Open Thread, I choose a group (MOT) before queuing for later. Then as soon as I post that as 'publish later,' I go to the MOT queue and see it queued, but awaiting scheduling. Click that and set the time same as my own publish time; i.e., 6:30 AM on the date selected.

It was a learning curve for me, because I could not figure out what I was doing wrong, not realizing a double time setting was required.

3. 3 Posted by jotter on 20 Jul, 2017 07:47 PM

Thank you Besame and Otteray Scribe for confirming the behavior I was seeing. And shame on me for not even noticing for two years! Some learning curve I was on.

I don't understand why this is the default behavior. It's much more of a pain to publish a diary you queued to a group in the process of publishing than to republish diary to the group after first publishing it yourself. As a bonus, if you queue to a group then you can't publish the diary to that group, since it is already queued.
    Peculiar.

Does no one from Daily Kos staff ever answer any questions here?

4. 4 Posted by Eyesbright on 20 Jul, 2017 09:26 PM

Jotter,

It would all be clearer if, on the Create a Diary page, that additional wording about Groups showed "Queue to a Group" instead of "Publish to a Group" (approximate wording). The fact that it doesn't is the kind of thing that happens when the people who are doing the programming are not people who have ever published a diary.

When you're publishing a diary and you've shown a specific group as an additional place you want that diary published, you have two steps:
    1. Publish the diary. That, of course, publishes it to Daily Kos and puts it on the Recent Diaries list.
    2. Go to the Group queue and hit "Publish Now."

If you're ever trying to Republish a diary from the diary itself and notice that the specific group doesn't show up on your list of groups, it's because the diary has already been queued in that group.

5. 5 Posted by Besame on 21 Jul, 2017 02:08 AM

What I experience is not exactly what Otteray describes and mine is
    consistent among several different groups. If I schedule my diary ahead *or*
    publish now from within the group Q the diary also simultaneously publishes
    on my own personal blog page. I don't need to publish it from my Q AND from
    the group's to have it in both the group and personal blog. But v/v isn't
    true - if I publish from my personal Q or from within story editor
    (scheduled ahead or published immediately) it will not publish to the group
    until I go to the group Q and do so.

And as jotter notes, once a diary has been Q'd to a group, that group's
    name won't appear in the drop menu if you click on Reblog It. This has been
    a PITA when someone else has already put it in the Q (by reblogging) but
    because they aren't Editor or Admin for the group they don't have
    permission to actually publish it.

6. 6 Posted by Besame on 21 Jul, 2017 02:10 AM

jotter- I thought I'd responded to you but after hitting send it looked as
    if it just went to Eyesbright. So if this is a duplicate please excuse me.

What I experience is not exactly what Otteray describes and mine is
    consistent among several different groups. If I schedule my diary
    ahead *or* publish
    now from within the group Q the diary also simultaneously publishes on my
    own personal blog page. I don't need to publish it from my Q AND from the
    group's to have it in both the group and personal blog. But v/v isn't true
    - if I publish from my personal Q or from within story editor (scheduled
    ahead or published immediately) it will not publish to the group until I go
    to the group Q and do so.

And as jotter notes, once a diary has been Q'd to a group, that group's
    name won't appear in the drop menu if you click on Reblog It. This has been
    a PITA when someone else has already put it in the Q (by reblogging) but
    because they aren't Editor or Admin for the group they don't have
    permission to actually publish it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac