How would a diary be displayed on "recent stories" column but not in recent diaries list?

alvins

04 Jul, 2017 03:43 PM

Sunday, July 3, 2017 I posted a diary, "Traffic Court and Citations - How I was My Own Attorney". It had been in my drafts for an extended period. After posting, I noticed I didn't see it in my familiar view, the diaries list where below the banner is "Diaries" in the center and below that "Recent Diaries". This view has no pictures. I worried that it didn't get published, but I got a few comments, so I found that it was appearing on the column called, "Recent Stories" on the right side of what I call the front page - the page loaded when one clicks the "Daily Kos" banner. How would it get published on this page, but not the other?

1. 1 Posted by Besame on 04 Jul, 2017 07:51 PM

Jumping in here to note that I've reported this glitch in the past (I found it on two different occasions) and now again on Sunday (think it was Sunday). I have a separate, private ticket about the other incident I discovered (different diary).

2. 2 Posted by alvins on 04 Jul, 2017 08:46 PM

Thanks for verifying this problem. I had one detractor accuse me of hijacking the thread list to stay on top. I reposted several times between yesterday and today because it never appeared in the "Recent Diaries" page. I'll probably wait for a solution then repost one last time when I'm sure they have it fixed. The "recent diaries" is the one I use and maybe many others because you can see more diaries without scrolling or going to the next page.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by elfling on 05 Jul, 2017 05:00 PM

I thought we had scrubbed this out of all the code, but because of a hack we had to make for performance reasons way back when, there was some older code that would only show diaries that were in the last 50,000 diary IDs and then sort them by publish date. The newer code (anything that has a style like the front page) doesn't have this problem but the Recent Diaries list may still do it.

The solution would be to copy and paste the content out of the old draft and to use a brand new one. That is kind of yucky which is why we fixed this problem in all the newer code.

4. elfling closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2017 05:00 PM.

5. alvins re-opened this discussion on 05 Jul, 2017 05:10 PM

6. 4 Posted by alvins on 05 Jul, 2017 05:10 PM

Thanks! I thought it might have something to do with it being an 'old' draft. I've had that draft for over a year. I'll copy and paste it to a new one and post it one last time. when I get a chance. Thanks again!

7. 5 Posted by Besame on 05 Jul, 2017 06:53 PM

Apparently two diaries on Sunday were missing from the DK4 list version. I
    opened a separate ticket about the one I found. I think ybruti also
    messaged you or ? about the same diary I reported (by Garrett).

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jul, 2017 10:02 PM

Yes, this has become a topic of conversation here at Help Desk again.

It does not appear to have a global solution, unfortunately, only the remedy that elfling promoted last week: old diary drafts will need to be copied and pasted to a new draft window.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2017 10:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac