Has anyone published a diary on how to use firefox, android, and the GOS?

aoeu

01 Jul, 2017 03:28 AM

I'm trying to get over being a Luddite and am having difficulty with big misdirected thumbs.
In particular how too I copy/paste into a blockquoate?
aoeu

1. 1 Posted by Joy of Fishes on 05 Jul, 2017 11:29 PM

aoeu, I am not using firefox on my android, but I think this will be similar

You likely can make text & buttons and such larger by touching the screen with two fingers and moving them away from each other. Touch again with two fingers and pinch them together to shrink

For copying the text - hold your finger on the text until little brackety things appear, then hold your finger on each of the brackets one at a time to pull them so they highlight the text you want, then select copy

Go to where you want to have the blockquote, and either click on the " and touch your finger to spot inside the box and select paste, or paste the text first, and then do the highlighting thing and click on the "

Let me know if it works!

2. 2 Posted by Tortmaster on 06 Jul, 2017 07:39 AM

Have you tried using only your mind to copy/paste into a blockquote?

Simply place the tips of you index and middle fingers from both of your hands on either side of your temple. Then, stare intently at the text you wish to copy. Concentrate on copying the portion of text that you want to remove and paste into a comment. Once you have successfully done that, then concentrate on pasting it into the comment.

It may help to wear a turban while you do this. At a minimum, you will need a cape. If you should fail at your objective, you will at least look quite dashing.

Let me know if it works!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Jul, 2017 05:09 PM

Hello, aoeu --

At some junctures it would seem that Tortmaster's suggestion is the way to go. Certainly it's not easy to operate touch screens when they're so small and finger precision is so tricky.

Joy of Fishes supplied good information, though. The only refinement I'd supply is that the "little brackety things" are generally highlights over text, which have dots on either end. It's stretching the dotted end, one or both of them, that highlights more than one word but less than the whole document. Once you have your selected text highlighted, then you have to tap on the selection to get a menu of options to appear. One of those options is cut, so you'll need to take care at that point.

I hope that you find them helpful. This particular iteration of personal computing technology is a tough one for many.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 Jul, 2017 05:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac