How do I join a group?

SuSu

03 Jun, 2017 06:41 PM

Can't figure this one out!

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 03 Jun, 2017 06:55 PM

The easiest way to join a group is to find a diary from that group and post a comment asking for an invitation to join. You'll probably get a faster response if the comment is posted as a comment to the person who wrote the diary.

Here's a link to a list of all the groups at Daily Kos. Note that the order in which they're listed can be changed to show Most Followed, Most Active This Month, Most Prolific, Most Recent.
    http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1668451/66701826#comment_66701826

Having said all that, what group is it that you're interested in? I can offer more specific help if I know which one it is.

I'm not the Help Desk, just a long-time, active user. Lots of us try to help when we can.

2. 2 Posted by SuSu on 03 Jun, 2017 07:06 PM

Thanks Eyesbright! I am interested in politics, especially groups keeping
    an eye on Chump & Co., but general politics as well. I am also interested
    in animal rights.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Jun, 2017 05:34 PM

Thanks for asking, SuSu.

Eyesbright is correct, but there are also other contact routes worth knowing.

On the group's profile page (which works like the profile page for individual users, except that it includes a roster of members), there are a couple of relevant links.

Let's say, for example, that you want to join Readers and Book Lovers. You can search for that name with the site search function under groups, and when you find the name of the group and click on it, you'll be taken to the blog view of the group's posts. (It looks like the site's Front Page, only featuring the R & BL posts instead.)

Look at the top of the right sidebar. You'll see four black words that are each links: Stream Members Following Profile (They're analogous to the links you have, except you'll have Blog Stream Groups Following Profile. You might want to investigate them a little bit to see what they lead to.)

If you click on Profile, you'll see near the top of the page a section with the group's avatar, a little orange heart with the word Follow, and Send Message. Clicking on Send Message will open a direct message window, on a system we commonly call Kosmail. You can submit your request for an invitation to join by sending a message. But please note that there's no alert to the group members of an incoming Kosmail directed to the whole group, so it might be a while before you hear back.

Also, it's possible to send a message via Kosmail to one of the group's Administrators, the only people with authority to invite new members. You can identify the administrators by going to the Members link at the top of the right sidebar for the group and clicking on it; the next page will display the names of Administrators. Choose one, click on a name, and the same Send Message option will appear on their profile page. The advantage of sending a message directly to an Administrator for a group is that they WILL get an alert about a new message.

You can also keep in mind that the profile page for every group (or individual) username has a URL that follows this pattern:
    http://www.dailykos.com/user/Readers and Book Lovers

Hope that helps!

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 08 Jun, 2017 05:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac