Adding photo that I posted on FB

Belle1701

12 May, 2017 01:29 PM

Can someone tell me how to add a photo that I posted on FB to a post on DK? I wrote a week or so ago about the butterly chrysalis on my back deck. This morning, the butterfly has emerged and I have a pic that put on my FB page. Would like to share it with DK.

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 May, 2017 09:28 PM

Hello, Belle --

Sure. Thanks for asking.

How you get the photo into your story or comment depends (in part) on where you want to put it. If you want to put this image into a story as a title image, it's the same process you used to insert one at the top of your post about Sebastian. (My sympathy for his premature passing. That was a terrible loss.)

It's not relevant that you posted your photo of the butterfly on FB, it's just relevant that you have the photo. If it's a jpg or a png then you can upload it to the site Image Library, as you did for your title image. And, by the way, all title images must be in our Image Library.

If you want to do the upload as a title image, the large image at the top of the post, then you have already done that. You click on the "mountain" icon in the middle of the image area, which will open the Image Library, and then you follow the prompts. You'll be asked if you want to upload an image, and when you choose that option the display of your computer's files will be opened. Navigate on your own browser to find the image you want, then click on it and click on Open to start the uploading process. (There is a limit of 10MB on size.) Once your image is uploaded, you'll see it in the right sidebar, and there will be the option to add attribution, limit use if you prefer, and to give some description of the image. Give it a tag or several tags; that will help you and potentially other users find it later. Then you will click Choose and the image will be displayed in that title image location.

It's very close to the same process to use the Image Library to insert a photo into the body of a story or a comment. But instead of clicking on the "mountain" icon in orange, prominently displayed, you look for a small black icon (same "mountain" shape) on the top row of the toolbar editor for stories and comments. Put your cursor in the story or comment approximately where you want the image to go, and then click on that icon. The Image Library will open, and you follow the same uploading steps. After it's uploaded, you will choose it to put it into your story or comment. If you want to reposition it, click on the image so that it highlights as blue. You can drag it to be higher or lower in your story, or you can choose to left-align it or center it. The alignment buttons are on that same toolbar.

Now, for images within stories and comments, it is also possible to add the image from an external webhost. Our whitelisted sources are somewhat limited. But we do have users who still rely on Flickr and Photobucket, to name only two of the major photo-hosting sites. Each site has a sightly different interface, but in all cases you'll be copying code for your image and pasting it directly into your draft window, whether story or comment. You may get a warning message about the http/https status of the image's URL, but it should still work.

I hope this helps! It takes longer to explain it than it does to do it. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask again.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 May, 2017 09:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac