What do all the little picture symbols (icons?) mean... (those in the comments section, for example.)

HeidiHelen

24 Mar, 2017 11:05 PM

I know that was a very bad subject line. But, I don't quite know what, for example the red phone that turns into a t-shirt, means -- a microphone  & the phone are easier to get the idea. But the blue t-shirt, the soccer balls and so on -- I got that one animal is FB &other other is Twitter (why not a bird for Twitter?) But those are easy enough to get. The rest...well, I'm confused. I searched your FAQs & found the Kossary (sp?) & that was very interesting & useful. I know this might sound like a silly question, I've seen these same or similar icons elsewhere, but I remain clueless. Is there a definition or for what purpose does each one serve -- does clicking on the red phone (aside from opening a thread with lots of blue t-shirts by each reply) allow you to reply also? Please help. A nice definition listicle would be wounderful...or just simply tell me what they all do? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much. HeidiHelen

1. 1 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 25 Mar, 2017 06:03 AM

Some of the small add-ons may be from Alt-codes.
    http://www.alt-codes.net/

There is a new web feature where you can find various emojis. Some won't copy into web pages or emails, while others will. Those that do not copy appear as little rectangles with fuzzy lines in them.
    http://getemoji.com/

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Mar, 2017 01:22 AM

What Otteray Scribe said might have helped, perhaps?

But you are in luck, because a wonderful post on just this topic was published on Sunday morning. https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/03/26/1646699/-CUA-Events-Maine...
    The post itself contains many tips, and the comments even more. So have fun and see what you can find out.

A couple of other points: Emoji display can be browser-dependent, both in inserting them into comments & reading them in other people's posts/comments. And despite all our best efforts, the DK editor can still be fussy. But the more people we have trying these out, the better idea we'll have of what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for asking.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 30 Mar, 2017 01:22 AM.

4. Daily Kos Staff re-opened this discussion on 11 Apr, 2017 03:39 PM

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Apr, 2017 03:39 PM

So sorry to have misinterpreted your question earlier.

When you get those symbols IN PLACE OF what you expect to see, then it is due to a poor site load. The remedy is to do a hard refresh, or to close and reopen the page. That should take care of it, especially if it's an infrequent occurrence.

If it is a chronic problem, though, then it's more likely that you have something in your browser setup that interferes with proper/complete site loading. Daily Kos tends to interact poorly with a number of browser extensions/add-ons/plug-ins, including some very common ones.

You can test for that in a couple of different ways. First, you can see what happens with the site on another browser (presumably, one without the same kinds of extensions you have on your default browser). Second, you can load your usual browser in Safe mode, which will disable all extensions. If you discover that's the issue, then you'll need to go through the ones you have by trial and error to see which one (or ones) might be the culprits.

Sorry not to have a shorter solution -- but in most cases, a reload will suffice. Sorry also not to have read your question properly the first time around.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac