embedding links

VClib

20 Dec, 2016 11:01 PM

Since the start of DK5 I have had real problems embedding a link to my prior diaries, or some other online feature here at DKOS or out in the Internet. Is there a new process that I missed?

I also can't seem to initiate any KosMail. I can respond to KosMail just fine, but can't start one. Historically I had no problems initiating a KosMail message.

What am I missing?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Dec, 2016 04:34 PM

Thanks for asking.

It's a long and detailed process to explain how to embed links, but not that difficult to do. If the following description does not suffice, please let me know.

Before I launch into that, however, let me ask you for a little more detail about the problems that you're having with Kosmail. Nothing about that process changed, for good and ill. It should be just as easy for you to start a message now as it was in DK4; what people have trouble with is actually getting one to be sent properly. Is that the problem you're encountering, an error message when you try to send one?

Anyway, for now, here's the step-by-step explanation of how to add hyperlinks fo posts and comments.

Take a look at the toolbar for both diaries and comments. You'll see a link icon. That icon can be utilized in one of two ways. I'll talk you through the process for each one.

Method One: Adding a hyperlink to text that you have already written.
    Let's say you want to make a link to some article in the Washington Post. You can refer to that article in an infinity of ways, of course. But once you've keyed in your chosen word or phrase, then you
    1) Highlight that text

2) Click on the Link icon

3) Confirm that the top text box in the popup window that opens, labeled "Display Text" says [selected text]

4) Copy and paste the URL for the article you wish your link to go to in the second box labeled "URL."

5) The third option there, labeled "Opens in...", defaults to New Window. That means when your comment or story is posted, then clicking on the link will open it in a new tab. The other option available, which you can choose if you prefer via a drop-down menu, is for the link to open in the Same Window as your comment or story. It's up to you.

6) Click the orange Insert Link button if this is what you want, or Cancel it if you change your mind.

It takes longer to explain it than to do it.

In a draft comment or a draft post, once you add the link but while you are still in draft mode you can confirm that your link works correctly. How do you know it's a link? The text will be orange if you haven't visited it recently enough for your browser to recognize it, and a dull brown if you have visited that page. Place your cursor over the link and you'll see a popup that says, Open in New Tab. Try it if you like. If for some reason the link is broken you can't easily edit it; better to delete the inaccurate text and start the process all over.

Method Two: Creating a hypertext link by using the link option to write your text. This is usually the most convenient way to create it ON A MOBILE PLATFORM, whether you are using the mobile site or the full site. (Sorry for shouting.)

The steps for Method Two are similar, but there's a different entry to the Link window.

Mobile devices don't permit selection of text very easily. Sometimes you can do it for a word, but even that's not always convenient. So better to use Method Two -- and in fact, some people prefer this way no matter what they're using.

1) When you reach the point in your post or comment when you want a link to be present, then click the Link icon.

2) The same Create Link box will open, with three text windows. Your cursor will be blinking in the first box, "Display Text." Type what you want the link to say in this box. It can be short or long, your choice.

3) Copy and paste the URL for your link in the second box.

4) Decide whether the default "Opens in..." is OK as a New Window.

5) Click the Insert Link button (or cancel).

6) Check the link if you like.

Again, it's more complicated to explain than to do it.

2. 2 Posted by VClib on 06 Aug, 2018 02:47 PM

This is on a very different topic, but I don't know how to initiate a new help thread.
    BAWare2 is accusing people of being a Republican or Russian blogger, and has done so at least twice. Here is one example.

https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1785166/70948498

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Moderator1 on 06 Aug, 2018 02:57 PM

Thanks for the heads-up.

4. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 06 Aug, 2018 02:57 PM.

5. VClib re-opened this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 01:06 AM

6. 4 Posted by VClib on 07 Aug, 2018 01:06 AM

I should have included that he accuses people of being a paid Russian blogger.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Aug, 2018 03:07 AM

OK, thanks for the additional information.

To open a new thread, go to this page https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/home
    and click on Start a discussion. Then you'll be prompted to fill in the fields as you see fit. A question like this would go under the category of Community and Moderation Issues, which is private by default.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 03:07 AM.

9. VClib re-opened this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 07:25 PM

10. 6 Posted by VClib on 07 Aug, 2018 07:25 PM

Thank you very much. This was the first time I sent this type of information to the help desk in the twelve years I have been here. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll know how to do it correctly.

Thanks again, VC

11. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Aug, 2018 07:33 PM

You're welcome.

12. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 07:33 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac