is there a way to search Recommended Diaries over a time frame?

Keith930

16 Dec, 2011 04:34 AM

I would like to do an analysis of what diaries get recommended over, say, the past 5 months. I'd like to be able to see which diaries got recommended, and then sort them by topic, so as to draw a picture of what topics are most likely to make it to the rec list and categorize them. Is this possible? Does the search function support this?

1. 1 Posted by Keith930 on 16 Dec, 2011 04:36 AM

For that matter, is there a simple way to sort all diaries by topic or tag? That might be just as, or even more, illuminating.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by elfling on 16 Dec, 2011 05:50 PM

That's an interesting analysis to do, and perhaps I'll put that in the hopper for some more exploration on our end.

You can search for recommended diaries by using the pulldown on the search page. The default value of "all diaries" can be "frontpaged diaries", "recommended diaries", or "rescued diaries".

You can also add a tag search to that (along with a date range). What you can't do is sort by tag, and the reason for that is because each diary has multiple tags, so there's no easy way to put that in an interface.

Note that each tag has its own list of recommended diaries (which didn't necessarily make the rec list), both an all time most recommended and the ones with the highest ranking on the recommend algorithm at this moment.

You can use the Tags page to see which tags are getting the most use over various time periods, too.

3. 3 Posted by Keith930 on 16 Dec, 2011 06:09 PM

Does the admin group on DK have data mining tools with respect to what gets posted here that the community of users do not? Or are you limited to the same tools as anyone else?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by elfling on 16 Dec, 2011 07:00 PM

I have all the tools! :-) I can write and run custom SQL for one-off queries, etc.

Of course, there's the whole "time in the day" question, and priorities, and the like.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by oh on 16 Dec, 2011 08:29 PM

Thanks for the search suggestions. A comprehensive rewrite of search is in the queue, pretty close to the top. Feel free to put as many suggestions here as you'd like, and we'll review them before redesigning the search interface.

6. System closed this discussion on 12 Dec, 2016 09:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac