Why can't I share articles form KOS on Facebook?

Larry Moran (unverified)

14 Nov, 2014 05:01 PM

Why can't I share articles form KOS on Facebook?

I have tried to share articles form Daily Kos on Facebook and it simply won't work.

Why?

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by elfling on 14 Nov, 2014 05:54 PM

Are you using the button on articles? what happens? (You need to enter text for it to count as a share rather than just a 'like'.)

I find that copying and pasting the URL directly at Facebook is sometimes more satisfying... it works more the way I expect.

2. 2 Posted by Gailsunday on 14 Nov, 2014 08:16 PM

Well, that response isn't very helpful, I checked FB like, added a comment, have NO IDEA what happened after that.....clicked comment and it went away, however, went away to Where? Have absolutely no idea whether it posted to FB or not, went to look, did not see it there.....suggestion, make this more compatible, on many sites one can just click a FB, or Twitter symbol, Kool! And the Deed is DONE!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by elfling on 15 Nov, 2014 01:00 AM

Sorry you didn't find my reply helpful. I'm trying to understand what behavior you see that makes you feel it is not working correctly.

So, to clarify: from your point of view, when you clicked the button on Daily Kos it all seemed to work fine, but you couldn't find it on Facebook later. Is that correct?

4. 4 Posted by IndieGuy on 17 Nov, 2014 01:07 AM

PBKC error?

5. 5 Posted by larry moran (un... on 17 Nov, 2014 01:10 AM

Correct. Nothing from KOS appears on my Facebook page, though I have tried to share MANY articles.

6. 6 Posted by rhcronin on 05 Dec, 2014 07:40 AM

My experience is the same as larry moran's. I can Like a Daily Kos item, bet I can't share it.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by elfling on 05 Dec, 2014 06:32 PM

I am able to reproduce this now, and am investigating.

8. 8 Posted by Patriot Daily N... on 05 Dec, 2014 07:27 PM

Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse's Avatar

olinda directed me to this chat. i posted new thread this morning that i have had the same problem for around year. more details in my thread.

http://helpdesk.dailykos.com/discussions/problems/88764-dk-fb-widget-does-not-work-for-me

did not know about this thread until now.

9. 9 Posted by Ken Sekiguchi on 02 Apr, 2016 08:09 AM

what share button? it is nowhere on any articles from Daily Kos...and not on those higlighted on daily email notifications.

10. 10 Posted by Lynne Kringler ... on 01 Nov, 2016 05:37 AM

I push the facebook button to post your articles and nothing happens???

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Nov, 2016 05:56 PM

When you click the little F button on a Daily Kos story, then you should get a pop-up from Facebook asking if you want to post (and where), also offering you a chance to say something about the post.

When you say "nothing happens," does this mean you do not get that window from FB, even though you are logged in?

We need a little more information from you to be able to figure out what's going on. So far, we're not hearing that this is a problem across the board, but if we can tell what's making things go wrong for you, we will. Please let us know what your OS/browser you use, and whether this is a new problem, and if so when it started. If you have the option of using the site from a different browser to see if the problem persists, that can help with diagnosis too. Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

If you do not see a share button at all -- which is always displayed as a little blue f in a circle, next to a Twitter bird and a star (to recommend stories) -- then the site is not loading properly for you. Again, see if it works in a different browser, or with your browser in safe/incognito mode. Site-loading issues are almost always due to a conflict between our site's code and some sort of add-on or extension.

Thanks for asking; sorry you're having difficulty with the site.

12. 12 Posted by Janet L Saltsgi... on 02 Nov, 2016 06:30 PM

When I bring up the facebook share page and try to post to my facebook page, my computer starts blinking and seizes up and I cannot get back into my Google browser. I have to reboot my computer to get rid of the facebook share page. It justs keeps blinking and will not go away without the reboot. Have some one hacked my computer? I have run a virus check and it says all is well, so wondering if especially since most of the articles pertain to Trump and his association with the Russians if they are blocking these posts???

13. 13 Posted by Debra (unverifi... on 20 May, 2017 07:00 PM

Having same issue here. Windows 10, using Chrome, latest version, when on Daily Kos I click on the little blue "f" button, and it does nothing. Nadda, Zippo. I can click on the little twitter button and it works just fine.

When I use MS Edge the "f" button works, but it is extremely slow to respond...click on button and a good 20 seconds or so later the Facebook window appears.

Is it Kos or my computer? I don't know where to start troubleshooting... :-)

14. 14 Posted by Janet Saltsgive... on 20 May, 2017 10:31 PM

I too am still having trouble sharing KOS postings directly to my facebook
    page. This has been happening to me since I started trying to share post
    about the current president. I still think KOS has been hacked to prevent
    it. I can share the post directly from someone else's post of the same
    thing.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 May, 2017 06:04 PM

Hello --

For some of you, this will be a timely reply to a recent inquiry. For others, it will be much less so and possibly irrelevant now. Apologies for not following up more promptly with you in the latter group.

It's possible that each of you have different computer setups with one thing in common. Some browser extensions designed to protect users' internet privacy do so by blocking requests to tracking 3rd party services. We see it most commonly when people have difficulty sharing stories to Facebook. "Disconnect" is one example of this kind of add-on or plug-in, but there is a whole class of them.

If this is the case for your browser, it's probably possible for you to disable this extension for Daily Kos if you choose. In any case, you may still share posts via copy&paste to your own timeline, though that's not as convenient as using the share button.

We appreciate your support of the site. Thanks for asking. I

f checking this out on your own browser and eliminating this as a cause does not solve your Facebook share problem, please feel free to start a NEW ticket with details, including your computer OS and browser, and under what conditions the problem occurs.

16. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 26 May, 2017 06:04 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac