Readability issues--see below

Gayle Carpenter (unverified)

28 Oct, 2020 04:46 PM

Sirs. I love, love Recommended Daily Kos. But here's the problem! I have a new smart phone (LG Android). For weeks, I have been able to read your news pieces by scrolling down: the articles were an easy-to-read print size --just like all my other emails. On Sunday afternoon, the print size changed.. It is now so small that I cannot read the text with both my reading glasses + my magnifying glass together!. This problem only affects RECOMMENDED DAILY KOS--the rest of my emails are in the normal readable print. This problem not only affects current DAILY KOS emails. I have several that are weeks old and I can no longer read them either.

The first thing I did was re-install my email system (Outlook which I get through Ohio State University). I finished the re-installing this morning and doing so had no affect on the DAILY KOS readability. Since my Outlook email program is fine, I wonder if the problem is related to DAILY KOS. If you can help me out, you have my email address above.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 28 Oct, 2020 05:58 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking for help.

So, let me make sure I understand the issue: the text of the emails you receive from us is suddenly too small to read? Or are you saying that the text of the articles you read at the Daily Kos site when you follow the links to them in the emails is now too small for you to read?

If it's the former, then I am also puzzled, and I would suggest reaching out to your email host to ask about the variance.

If it's the latter, then I wonder if somehow you've been switched to the mobile site view. Could you please send a URL of a page that you find unreadable? A screenshot would also be helpful.

Sorry you're having this difficulty, whatever the cause. Let's see if we can figure it out.

2. 2 Posted by Carpenter, Gayl... on 29 Oct, 2020 01:01 AM

Hey, thanks for the answer. You gave me two interpretations: the problem is #1 the text of the emails you are sending is too small to read. When I click on the new heading (for example, "Florida residents burn masks as COVID cases increase") and when the text of this news story opens up, the print is so small that I can't read it using both my reading glass and magnifying glass. And this change came suddenly--on Sunday afternoon. Like I told you in my email, the first thing I did was re-install my Outlook system--no change.

Tomorrow morning (Thurs.) I am going to the "Help" desk to talk to a long-time and experienced Outlook IT person. I will see what he has to say. I will take a copy of your email with me so he can see what you suggest with the URL. Both you and he are dealing with a computer illiterate (and old) person so perhaps he can help send a URL to you: I have several Daily Kos examples because the print format in all of them changed at the same time. If so, get ready with your glasses and magnifying glass!

Now do you think that Donald Trump is messing with my new smart phone???

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 31 Oct, 2020 01:22 AM

Thanks for the update. Sorry that words alone are sometimes an awkward means of communication!

If you can get your IT person to explain how to do these two things that might be helpful too, in the long run. First, if you don't know already, it would be good to learn how to capture a screenshot of what you see on your phone. It is often the case that seeing a picture of the display can go a long way in explaining the problem.

Second, I'd ask your IT person to show you how to operate the settings on your phone. Often there are different options available for type size. If that's not relevant to your situation now, it might be another time.

No, though he has plenty of other sins to answer for. Let's hope he is held accountable for them sooner than later.

4. 4 Posted by Carpenter, Gayl... on 31 Oct, 2020 01:15 PM

Thanks much for getting back to me a second time! The IT person, a whiz-girl who works on all problems on Ohio State campus with the Outlook program, worked on the print-size problem for about 15 minutes and solved it. Yay!!! I will now be able to read all the outrageous election news for the next few days--and probably the next several weeks.

I will take your suggestions to heart. I have only had this smart phone gizmo for three weeks and am learning, learning, learning camera details and other settings. Thank you for Recommended Daily Kos. Gayle Carpenter

5. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 31 Oct, 2020 03:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac