Comments Keep Jumping

MacCrab

26 Oct, 2020 03:46 PM

Several users have asked for a fix for the Comments that keep jumping. It seems to happen to Safari users. It prevents us from reading the comments. It's been at least two weeks now, but no fix or answer has been forthcoming. When may we expect a resolution? Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Oct, 2020 11:38 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking anew. I know we had a discussion a few days earlier.

Now, this is not a new issue, unfortunately, and we have been making an effort to reduce if not completely eliminate it. In the past little while, other users have reported that the jumping comment issue has improved. While I'm not challenging your own experience that the comments do continue to jump, I'm explaining this as an introduction to the questions I'm going to ask you in turn. To devise a remedy, we have to be able to generate the problem ourselves, and to do so we need to be able to replicate your own setup as closely as we can.

The following questions apply to anyone who happens to jump into this conversation, and in fact we do welcome your participation in this thread.

First, what version of Safari are you on? Are you reading on a desktop or a mobile device when it happens? Which version of the iOS do you have? These details matter, given the considerable variation in browser and OS versions.

What are the conditions that give rise to the jumping, in your experience? Is it exclusively seen in long and nested comment threads? Do you see it always, sometimes, or never in association with an embed, particularly a large one? Does it happen when you're simply scrolling along, minding your own business? Does it happen when you have the Auto refresh option on, or off? Do you notice it only when you've just made a comment, or if you have a comment in progress?

We have ourselves already gone through a number of permutations of these conditions, singly and in combination, but it is possible that we have missed something. We would appreciate any other clues you can suggest, whether they're on that list above or something else you have noticed.

Thanks again, and apologies for the ongoing annoyance.

2. 2 Posted by MacCrab on 27 Oct, 2020 09:21 PM

Thank you for responding! I'm happy to help in any way I can. I use a Mac Air laptop. It's running Safari v. 13.1.1 (15609.2.9.1.2) on MacOS Catalina v. 10.15.5 (19F101).

The comments jump in every thread. It doesn't matter how many comments there are, or how far I get. They jump every few seconds, causing me to lose my place. I never use auto refresh. They jump when I'm trying to read them. I don't write comments anymore because of it. In fact, I can't even read comments, because they jump away from me.

Once at about 3:00 in the morning, pacific time, I was able to read a few comments without a jump. Then it jumped. But it had slowed down. Now they're back to jumping every few seconds.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 28 Oct, 2020 02:58 PM

Thank you for your willingness to help.

I'll take this information and see what we can glean from it. But first I have another suggestion for you. Would you mind trying out the site on a private window? The ubiquity and severity of the problem for you, in contrast to all the other reports we've had about the issue, makes me wonder if there is something about your own setup to check first. Using a private window disables most, though not absolutely all, extensions, and so in that mode it's possible to see whether something on your browser is the culprit for this poor comment behavior.

Also, before you try that step, please clear your cache and cookies for the site, to have a clean slate for the process.

Thanks again. I'll be interested in learning what you find out.

4. 4 Posted by MacCrab on 22 Nov, 2020 09:36 PM

Dear Help Desk --

I wanted to respond to let you know what happened. My Mac laptop crashed and won't boot up. I won't take it in because I'm afraid of Covid. My sister-in-law bought me a new laptop with Windows. The comments on the Windows platform don't jump.

So I don't need your help anymore. Thank you.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Nov, 2020 08:15 PM

Hello again.
    Bummer about your Mac crash, but how nice of your sister-in-law.
    And good to know that the site and comments are behaving well on Windows for you. We hope to make use of your report on Catalina/Safari anyway for the sake of diagnosing and improving the comment-jumping issue.
    Thanks for your support of the site.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 Nov, 2020 08:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac