Cannot view articles

jared the bassplayer

23 Oct, 2020 04:28 AM

WTf

1. 1 Posted by jared the bassp... on 23 Oct, 2020 04:30 AM

Seriously, I cannot view the content of my favorite internet site

2. 2 Posted by EldritchForge on 23 Oct, 2020 12:44 PM

Is it because the long scrolling ads get cut off by the “read more” function and they also obscure the “read more“ button so you can’t actually click on it to read more? This keeps happening to me and it’s very frustrating.

3. 3 Posted by AAA (unverified... on 23 Oct, 2020 03:03 PM

Cannot read any content of any article, is this the Russians or trump hackers or what?

4. 4 Posted by Joseph OConnor ... on 23 Oct, 2020 03:08 PM

I have not been able to read any content for the last 3 days.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Oct, 2020 04:03 PM

Hello, and thanks for reaching out to us.

In order to be helpful, I really need more information. What kind of device are you using? What operating system and browser do you have on your device? Are you getting to the site through links in our Daily Kos Recommended emails? What exactly do you see: a blank page, a warning message, headlines only, site header and footer? Screenshots can be very useful to us in diagnosing an issue and providing workarounds or remedies. And the URL of the page you're trying to reach, especially if you do send us a screenshot, will help as well. At the moment, all I know is that several of you are having problems, without any indication of a common factor or way to reproduce the issue.

There are two preliminary steps you can take in the meantime. First, we encourage you to clear your cache for the site (and then reboot). Sometimes that step alone suffices.

Second, you can try to open a private or incognito window--particularly relevant for desktop/laptop machines. This process means that most if not all of your browser extensions will be disabled, and as a result you can then tell whether an extension is interfering with the site's behavior.

We'll be watching for updates. Thank you for your help with troubleshooting.

6. 6 Posted by Trail Rider on 06 Nov, 2020 03:22 PM

When I am on my iphone 6 using DuckduckGo browser, when I use the hamburger menu to go to the Community page, the articles are listed but then the titles scroll down out of view and disappear completely. I, tried scrolling down to find them, but was unsuccessful.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Nov, 2020 10:47 PM

Thanks for offering this additional information. Could you please tell us also what iOS you're running on your iPhone 6? Some of those iPhones seem not be supporting more recent iOS.

If yours is not at least an iOS 10, then it is true that you're not going to be able to load the site as you are accustomed to doing.

We do have a workaround for the time being--which may turn out to be something you'll need for the longer term. You can install an RSS reader if you don't already have one and view Daily Kos content through it.

If you need a reader, there are some free or inexpensive ones available in the App Store. When you search for RSS readers, you'll see a large array of them. The information displayed about each will include ratings, features, and iOS compatibility. Once you choose one and install it, then you can fetch Daily Kos through it.

Hope this helps. If you do have iOS 10.0 or later, please reply and we'll see what else might be causing the problem.

Thanks for your support of the site.

8. 8 Posted by Trail Rider on 07 Nov, 2020 03:55 AM

I'm on IOS 12.4.9.

9. 9 Posted by Trail Rider (un... on 07 Nov, 2020 04:01 AM

Also tried it in Safari (same device) and got same results.

10. 10 Posted by Trail Rider on 07 Nov, 2020 04:11 AM

IOS 12.4.9, and I am seeing the same behavior in Safari on the same device.

Jen

11. 11 Posted by roadlion on 07 Nov, 2020 01:18 PM

Same problem. Not every diary. When I try to get below the ad that comes up after I’ve open the diary, there’s nowhere to click more. If I try to just go into the comments bar and click there, it doesn’t go to comments, it goes into the ad that’s above it. I want an iPhone 7 Plus updated to the latest iOS. Viewing in Chrome.

12. 12 Posted by righteousdem on 09 Nov, 2020 02:58 AM

I am using Safari on my iPhone and MacBook pro and cannot get articles, particularly Trending. Blank white pages. I now go to the drop down and go to Trending ands every once in a while they load properly. Otherwise the little guide on the left moves up the page and leaves it bear. This is my go to site so disappointing when we finally get good news on Saturday!!!

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 09 Nov, 2020 11:20 PM

Very sorry that you've had ongoing difficulties. Thanks for providing more details.

Over the weekend (though the exact timing is not clear) the issue with the ad conflict arising on mobile devices should have been resolved. Thank you for raising the issue in the first place; sorry that it took a while to get it cleared up.

The other issue, regarding blank pages, is probably related to the AP Elections map embed. It apparently does not play well with the new Front Page on some devices. So far, the reports of problems have come from users on iPads, not from people on OS or iOS--but I am hoping that the workaround that we have figured out for iPad users will work for others, too.

If you go to this URL to load the old Front Page, you won't see the AP Elections embed and the issue should be resolved: https://www.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default (Or, if you prefer to use the mobile view: https://m.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default)

If you have a Daily Kos user account and are logged into the site, then you will have access to this FP version switch via a shortcut built into the pulldown menu attached to your username. But this URL will work for anyone.

The new FP will load by default when you enter this URL instead: https://www.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default?to_new_page=true (replacing www with m if you want the mobile view). It will presumably be a few more days until we pull down the AP tracker, but eventually it'll be gone and the new Front Page should load well again.

If this does NOT address the blank pages problem for you, then please return with the specific version number for both OS and browser, and we'll do some tests to figure out what else might be going on.

Thanks again. Appreciate your support of the site.

14. 14 Posted by Trail Rider on 10 Nov, 2020 05:30 AM

When I'm using my iphone 6, ios 12.4.9, in Safari, DuckDuckGo 7.57.1.1, and Firefox 29.1 browser, in old style mode on the front page, I can scroll down a far way. I can't get to the Community page, and I can't switch to full desktop view because it just swtches back to mobile view.
    In the new style, anything beyond the AP widget is blocked. Also, the Community page is still not rendering properly; it is blank initially and, if I reload the page, the content displays but then scrolls out of sight and is irrecoverable.

Whatever changes have been released have not fixed any of the issues I'm seeing.

Jen

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Nov, 2020 04:24 PM

Hello again, Trail Rider (and others).

My apologies for the ongoing difficulties. Thanks for the update that the workaround for the old-style Front Page doesn't completely do the job. I should have been more detailed in my instructions.

Let me suggest another couple of options. The mobile view will work; I've tried it myself on a real, older, iPhone. It's not as powerful as the full www. view but it gets the job done. https://m.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default

It's also possible to go directly to the list of stories displayed in reverse chronological order via https://m.dailykos.com/diaries

I don't know if there will be a direct fix prepared before the widget comes down, but I will check it out.

I'll raise the issue today with the developers, pointing out that the universe of people affected by this problem is significantly larger than we thought.

16. 16 Posted by roadlion on 10 Nov, 2020 05:06 PM

This doesn't apply to me. My problems lie only with the mobile functionality. The desktop/laptop version has always worked fine for me. 

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Nov, 2020 05:13 PM

That's interesting, roadlion. The problem with the AP elections embed seems to be affecting users on iPads across the board as well as users on iPhones with somewhat older versions of iOS installed. Glad that things are still working for you on the desktop/laptop version--the full site view--when you switch to the old Front Page.

18. 18 Posted by roadlion on 10 Nov, 2020 05:18 PM

i have a 7+ iphone with the newest IOS installed. I've noticed the problem for a couple of weeks, where when I would try to see the "more" link on my phone where there is an ad in between the opening grafs and the rest of the body of the story — frequently I would be taken into the ad instead of the body of the story. It happened every time in certain stories — but not all of them. 
    My laptop (which is set to view in the classic format) is a 2019 macbook pro. Never experienced the issue here. just FYI. 

19. 19 Posted by derekcito on 10 Nov, 2020 05:20 PM

Using Safari 12.1.2 on an ancient Mac Pro. That Election Results Tracker widget completely messes with how the DK landing page loads. Everything below the widget gets pushed down and out of sight no matter how far I scroll. I say, just take the tracker down! We're not following the count minute-by-minute any more. Put a link to it somewhere or something...

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Nov, 2020 05:26 PM

Thanks for the updates from both of you.
    roadlion--We think we addressed that "read more" ad issue over the weekend. Please let us know if you see it again.
    derekcito--please try reverting to the old-style Front Page for a while. https://www.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default That should help.

21. 21 Posted by roadlion on 10 Nov, 2020 05:42 PM

Cool. I will check it out after work. If you hear nothing, consider it addressed!
    Thanks so much for your help. 

22. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 Nov, 2020 07:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac