Ad that blocks “read more” option

elemenoPea

22 Oct, 2020 10:32 AM

I’m finding that I’m unable to scroll down and read the rest of many diaries or to click on comments because of these ads that sort of scroll along with you. In the screenshot, you can see that I have no “read more” option. And when I click the orange discussion button, it takes me not to the comments, but to the ad site. This is happening more and more. Sometimes I can refresh and things work fine, but usually I just have to leave the diary unread.

1. 1 Posted by bioandy on 22 Oct, 2020 02:52 PM

Same issue here, using iOS 13.7 on iPhone. I find these “reverse window-shade” ads (where a gap in the site content appears to slide over the underlying ad) to be annoying and distracting even when they are working properly. When they actually impede me from using the site, it generates ill will toward the Ad sponsor (sorry, ACLU). Please reconsider whether this advertising format is worth it.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Oct, 2020 03:58 PM

Hello, and thanks for raising this question.

I'm not seeing an issue with the ads obscuring the "read more" link. From the screenshot you've shared, I don't think you should expect to see the "read more" link anyway. That message/link shows only on the blog view pages, and at that only in the case where the story author has chosen to insert a page break within the body of the story. With a page break in use for a story, on the blog page you'll see the story's title, caption, and story image plus the first section of the post (above the "jump" or page break), and that "read more" link (as well as "Continue reading"). Including the page break allows for more stories to be displayed in fewer column inches, so to speak, and it's standard for Front Page stories--though now with the new Front Page design that feature is moot. But on the old Front Page and other blog pages (which still exist in the old format) the "read more" llink permits users to open the story directly--from the top of the story--without scrolling back up to the story headline to use the hyperlink there. "Continue reading" opens the story on a new page at the page jump instead of at the very top.

The view that you have captured here on the screenshot shows a full story. Even if there had been a page break inserted, on story view you'll see the thin page-break line separating the two parts, not the option to "read more." It's clearly a full story shown here precisely because you have the "display comments" bar at the bottom.

Now, I'm not able to tell which story you're looking at, and whether there is more story content that should appear before you see the "display comments" link. So perhaps there is an issue with scrolling not working, and an ad obscuring the rest of the story.

If the ad prevents you from clicking on the Display comments link at the bottom of a story on the mobile view, that is possibly a different matter. I'll try to replicate it.

Meanwhile, let me suggest that you clear your data for Daily Kos on your device. The storage capacity is not all that great and it's possible that having too much DK data on your phone interferes with site loading and other behavior.

Thanks also to bioandy for your second comment about ad design.

There is a remedy, if you're interested. A yearly ad subscription to Daily Kos will give you the opportunity to turn off ads altogether.

In any case--thanks to you both for your support of the site.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 Oct, 2020 03:58 PM.

4. bioandy re-opened this discussion on 22 Oct, 2020 06:57 PM

5. 3 Posted by bioandy on 22 Oct, 2020 06:57 PM

Here is a series of screenshots illustrating the problem with the Display
    xxx Comments link. The first 3 were taken as I scrolled through today’s
    Thursday Pundit Round-up. The fourth is where I land after clicking on
    “Display 324 Comments.” Does not happen on all stories, clearing the
    website data doesn’t prevent the problem. Hope this is helpful to you.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Oct, 2020 07:04 PM

Hello again, and thanks for the additional screenshots. Yes, they should be helpful.

7. 5 Posted by Raspin on 22 Oct, 2020 08:11 PM

I also came to report this.

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by elfling on 22 Oct, 2020 09:23 PM

When it happens, do you see it on all stories? Or are there particular stories that are affected? I'm wondering if the length of the story is a factor.

9. 7 Posted by bioandy on 22 Oct, 2020 09:42 PM

Not all stories. I don’t have a big enough sample size to tell if length is
    a factor, sorry.

10. 8 Posted by bioandy on 23 Oct, 2020 01:46 AM

Here’s another example. The story is Borat issues statement 'defending'
    Rudy Giuliani

Note that the remaining content in the story (including an embedded video
    via Twitter) is cut off and not accessible when I keep scrolling. As
    described previously, tapping Display Comments just takes me to the ad.

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Oct, 2020 06:10 PM

Great, thanks. Appreciate the additional information very much.

12. 10 Posted by Democratic Cons... on 27 Oct, 2020 05:10 AM

I also came to report this. I am on an iPhone, and it is near impossible to read diaries on both Safari and Chrome. I see the “Read More” button for a millisecond and it goes away once the scrolling ad loads. I click on comments (having not read the full diary) and it treats my click as if I clicked on the ad. Doesn’t matter how often I reload the page. Highly frustrating, and I imagine doesn’t get any goodwill for ACLU and Mark Kelly from anybody experiencing but not reporting this bug.

13. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Oct, 2020 02:17 PM

Yes, thank you for adding this information.

We have seen this issue on our own devices and have a theory about what is going awry. We should have a fix in place soon.

Meanwhile, our apologies for the annoyance and inconvenience.

14. 12 Posted by madamB4 on 02 Nov, 2020 12:05 PM

I am having this problem as well. Very frustrating as we approach the election where I rely in DK for every minute updates. What can we do?

15. 13 Posted by onegraham on 02 Nov, 2020 02:49 PM

This happens all the time with the Abbreviated Pundit. Damn Kelly Ad always covers it. Please fix. And Thanks for great Kos coverage.

16. 14 Posted by onegraham on 02 Nov, 2020 03:05 PM

17. 15 Posted by thatgeekinit on 02 Nov, 2020 05:11 PM

I'm also seeing this on my iPhoneSE and honestly these "read more" buttons are absolutely horrible design that should never be used on any website and I don't understand why they are popular.

Obviously I want to read the post, I clicked on it!

At least half the stories on my mobile device are now doing this so the mobile site is completely unusable.

18. 16 Posted by Raspin on 02 Nov, 2020 05:21 PM

I totally agree with @thatgeekinit on this. The "read more" button is ridiculous.

19. Support Staff 17 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Nov, 2020 05:51 PM

Hello all.

We're working on getting this cleaned up. Grateful for the alert and for the screenshots. Can you please report what device you're on along with the OS and browser? If we can ID patterns to this--or find that it is universal--that is information we could really use.

Thank you, and apologies for the continued inconvenience.

20. 18 Posted by Raspin on 02 Nov, 2020 06:17 PM

iPhone OS 14.0.1, Safari

21. Support Staff 19 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Nov, 2020 06:24 PM

Also--it seems to be the case that this scrolling ad is not being displayed on the full site view, even if you are using a mobile device to access the site. Choosing that view is an option to try, if you're interested.

To do so, look at the bottom of the display on your device. You should see "view full site" in the gray border below the site content. Click it, and you'll see the full site (www.dailykos.com) instead of the mobile site (m.dailykos.com).

You'll have a cookie on your phone to load the full site instead of the default. m. site; you can clear the cookie manually on your device or find the "view mobile site" link at the bottom of the OLD version of the Front page.

Thanks and apologies again.

22. 20 Posted by madamB4 on 02 Nov, 2020 09:21 PM

IPhone, Safari. Thanks. So frustrating. The view full site is really tough to read but I guess I will slog through it til fixed because there is no better place to be than here on election night!

23. 21 Posted by Colorado Blue on 03 Nov, 2020 12:14 AM

Hi I have this problem, iPhone 6s and safari.

Thank you!

24. 22 Posted by madamB4 on 03 Nov, 2020 10:47 AM

Will I have this same problem if I subscribe? Dammit it is election day and I cannot read half of the posts. And it has almost turned me off to Mark Kelly who I have supported financially. Can’t this be fixed before tonight? I went in yesterday to check in the cost of a subscription and it would not even let me subscribe. I will try again today.

25. 23 Posted by madamB4 on 03 Nov, 2020 12:33 PM

....and I don’t know if this has been mentioned but you can’t even read the comments on the diaries that are effected by this-
    Clicking in the comments just takes you to Mark Kelly’s ActBlue page. Ok I won’t say anything more about this:(

26. 24 Posted by madamB4 on 03 Nov, 2020 12:59 PM

So this problem is not fixed and I want to subscribe so that I can follow everything tonight from my mobile. I have gone to Subscribe page for the second day and get the message that Subscribe is temporarily unavailable. Help please.

27. 25 Posted by onegraham on 03 Nov, 2020 02:12 PM

I’m on an iPhone 11 Pro plus. Happens all the time. good wishes.

Sent from my iPad

28. 26 Posted by onegraham on 03 Nov, 2020 02:13 PM

iPhone 11pro using chrome. Latest iOS

Sent from my iPad

29. 27 Posted by sfpcnik on 04 Nov, 2020 01:12 AM

I’m subscribed and signed in and having all the same problems of not being able to read the entire article nor the comments. Trying to do so only opens the ad.

Makes the site virtually unreadable on iOS

30. Support Staff 28 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 Nov, 2020 07:56 PM

Hello again. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It did take a couple of tries to get this issue completely addressed. The first problem was more obvious and was resolved pretty soon after the last entries made in this thread. (The full site workaround described above was an option, too, though not without drawbacks.) Late last week we figured out the cause of the second issue and it was corrected over the weekend.

With the end of the major campaign season, the more complicated ads (the scrollers) should be greatly reduced. It is usually, though not always, true that having a site subscription will eliminate interference from ads; the degree of success depends on how comprehensive the impact of the ad is on the site's behavior. If you're interested in learning more about site subscriptions, please read this resource.

In any case, we do want to hear about ad interference. The information you provided here, especially the screenshots and the device/operating system/browser details (including version numbers), really helped a lot for pinning down what had gone wrong. Ad behavior on mobile devices differs from the way ads show up on the full site, so when the full-site ads are the culprit then it's important to know the location on the page for the misbehaving ads (as well as a URL for the ad if at all possible.)

Thanks for your persistence and your support of the site's mission.

31. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 Nov, 2020 07:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac