Still possible to collapse a thread of comments in this DKos version?

BentLiberal

20 Oct, 2020 12:45 AM

After reading an inspiring diary about Qasim Rashid for Congress, I came upon hundreds and hundreds of comments that went off on a tangent about incels because someone in the diary was named Chad. It honestly just ruined the vibe of the diary. I don't really blame anybody, but I thought wouldn't it be great if I could collapse that entire first thread, like we could in a version of DKos in the old days. It was accomplished by some combination such as "shift click" on the parent comment. Any chance?

Thanks much in advance!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/10/19/1987688/-Flag-Waving-Tr...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Oct, 2020 02:57 PM

Wow, that really was quite a hijack.

Yes, you can collapse a given comment by clicking on the little caret symbol on the left of every comment. In open mode, the carat points down; in collapsed mode, the carat points to the right. If the comment has "children," also known as replies, they and all their children will also display in the mode of the initial, "parent," comment.

You can open any comment that is closed by clicking on the carat. That comment will open, as will all of its children. But that decision flows down, if you can visualize it, not back up--meaning that the parent comment for the one you open, or any "sibling" comments it may have, will remain in the state chosen up the stream from it. (Sorry to mix the metaphors.)

Hope this helps. It doesn't make the comment and its thread disappear entirely, but it does minimize it and helps reveal where the hijack ends.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2020 02:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac