Safari and eero blocking Daily Kos links

Susan Klement (unverified)

17 Sep, 2020 11:45 PM

I updated to Safari 14.0 today. Now I cannot access any links in Daily Kos emails as they are reported as insecure.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by elfling on 18 Sep, 2020 05:41 PM

We are aware of the problem and working on it. Thank you for your patience and I'm deeply sorry for the frustration.

2. 2 Posted by binkycat on 09 Oct, 2020 03:03 PM

Any update on this issue? Eero is blocking me from DKos advocacy emails too.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 09 Oct, 2020 05:26 PM

Hello, and thank you both for asking.

This is our most recent update about the issue.

What has happened here is unrelated to our own site operations, though it does affect how our links are treated by our readers’ browsers—and also sometimes by users’ security software. As we know, browsers and software are continually upgrading their security standards. SendGrid - a service that sends emails for all kinds of businesses and organizations, including Daily Kos - has not yet completely reset to these expectations in the general case. I can promise you that all our SendGrid links are clean, however. We have dedicated servers with them that should not be sending anything I wouldn’t want to click on myself.

We’re working on figuring out the configuration issue so that message stops happening. Meanwhile, you may want to whitelist (that is, include on a list of safe, trustworthy sources maintained by your browser/security software) the dedicated host name we have via SendGrid. That hostname is u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net. You will see this string at the beginning of all the hyperlinks that we send to you in the Daily Kos Recommended (and other) emails.

If you remain reluctant to open the link or to add our hostname to a whitelist, then you can still find and read the linked content we are sending you. If you see a story within a Daily Kos email that you want to read, you can go to this page and skim the titles. Or, alternatively, you can use the site Search function, available at the top of every site page, to find a specific title. You can refine the results by choosing to search on Title instead of Title and Text (or by using the Advanced Search option).

Thanks for your understanding and patience as we address this issue.

4. 4 Posted by Susan Klement (... on 09 Oct, 2020 06:38 PM

I thank you very much for taking an interest in this issue. This email from you sounded very promising but I am unable to do what you suggest. I am using Safari 14.0 on a Mac computer. It is very difficult to get to the settings for the sendgrid.net <http://sendgrid.net/> website because, when I double-click on the link, I usually get the Favorites/Frequently Visited/Reading List pulldown. If I do get the Settings for this Website to show, it’s usually grayed out. On the one occasion when I finally got the Settings for This Website to appear properly, I still wasn’t able to change the settings.

When I go to Safari Preferences for all websites, there are No Active Content Blockers listed under Content Blockers and I cannot add a website with cut and paste or manually, and changing On to Off makes no difference either. Both Safari and Eero continue to block your links even if I specify that I am willing to accept the risk of visiting the website. I tried using Firefox, but that did not help. I also tried Googling other methods to solve the problem. I found some that need developer coding that I am not competent to perform.

A later email from you suggested that I "choose Advanced --> Add Exception --> Confirm Security Exception (or similar options) relative to this hostname" but nothing that I have tried presents me with options like that.

Please keep trying to solve this issue. In the meantime I added the page you suggested to my Favorites but the first two links I searched for (Marco Rubio tries and fails spectacularly to attack Kamala Harris on Twitter <https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDCxDIu4OO3SBv2TLoLPFt2dpW8tU5NyT9FVzRpRSErzcA4RAnCB-uNCAOuMJnvYGk-D825J2TaSI9qoYdbK0lA5kPShmjvU0NVVGsqHWMGmDyC3eT4n128tlAL1TJqXMnWIWigUXs3APT4IAQLDy_cdXvJQF013igbNoPYcSJsw--lMeu6u01ausaJy-mwz0fbGlzPO3otbaJ1QLfOnn-ns/35v/nshAKcNwSvGsPnyCokpBRg/h4/4kvOPxDFrrWERY07lpEcjK7iZa2oKcwFUhm-d5O9qTk> and Trump made a demand during 2019 Walter Reed trip that's significant now that he has COVID-19 <https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDCxDIu4OO3SBv2TLoLPFt2dpW8tU5NyT9FVzRpRSErzcgXt1m9mK_UR5IExvoh38hj_jA4FoMHLWyxQsQeMTp8C08JL4sxRDtMG6kO0j4gZA9QA7WpnXjqVnGFb9znXLrZ6Gg1kNZMM3AXJ6Gih4o5IXi6Zgctzn-oud91Y4poAwSs6j29YfC4dhjtSAXEcuJUhbevvC9FSDvi2MnCZL9jo/35v/nshAKcNwSvGsPnyCokpBRg/h5/ue-R5gLE3LlboYd_f2hD4GOaeYrtDKEqt6EmuzSvqaQ> failed to produce results.

Susan Klement

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 09 Oct, 2020 11:35 PM

Hello again.

Thank you for the detailed report on the efforts you've made to make use of our suggestions. I'm sorry that they didn't work for you. Part of our problem is that so much of the issue is user-dependent--that is, based on each person's individual setup, from router to email host to browser to security software (and more). We can replicate only to a very limited extent.

I've passed along the information you've supplied here to someone who is more directly involved in pursuing a solution, and I believe it'll prove useful.

Meanwhile, I'd like to offer some tips on using the site Search function more effectively. I can't tell exactly what you put into that Search window, but let me explain a sample search to show you the technique I use. For our search to work well, you need to have just enough detail to limit the results--not so much that the search engine is overwhelmed, and not so little that you get too many returns and get overwhelmed yourself.

Thus to look for the first post you linked, I put marco rubio in the search field and then clicked. Then, on the next page, I changed the option of what was being searched from "Title or Text" simply to "Title" (Asking for a search of Title or Text produces all the stories with Marco Rubio in the text PLUS all the titles with Marco Rubio in the title.) The screenshot I'm attaching shows you the result, and as you can see the title you want is in the short list.

I hope that helps a little for now. We do appreciate your willingness to work through the process and to supply this very useful level of detail about what you're experiencing.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 09 Oct, 2020 11:35 PM.

7. Susan Klement re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2020 01:50 AM

8. 6 Posted by Susan Klement (... on 10 Oct, 2020 01:50 AM

Thank you very much indeed for this very kind and detailed reply. I do understand how to search—I’m a retired librarian. I searched on just the name “Rubio." I think the problem was that I wrongly assumed that the article was dated Oct. 9th, as it was in the email I received today, so I stopped searching too soon. It’s not only the links to the articles that get blocked but also links to petitions.

It’s possible that Safari is allowing me to open the links after I go through all the hoops—clicking several times, providing my computer password, etc.—to say that I am willing to accept the risk but eero is not allowing it. I have reported the problem to eero half a dozen times but have not heard back. I’ll try again using a different email address for them.

Best,

Susan Klement

9. 7 Posted by John (unverifie... on 17 Oct, 2020 06:02 PM

This really needs to be fixed. I've tried to unsubscribe to some of the emails I get via Action Network and have run into the same issue. Saw this post weeks ago and have tried to be patient. I fear people are going to start marking Daily Kos emails as Spam if they don't have any way to stop getting rid of them themselves.

Daily Kos is a customer - you should be putting a lot of pressure on these guys to fix the security issues.

10. 8 Posted by PresidentBismar... on 18 Oct, 2020 05:51 PM

I am not sure where to put a safe list entry into firefox and since I have EERO as my network, not sure how to put in a safe address there. Can you please make this a high priority item as many of us cannot get to the site from your emails. Thanks.

11. 9 Posted by DBHart on 19 Oct, 2020 06:07 PM

This is also a problem on Firefox. If nothing else, the campaigns that are emailed should also find a home somewhere on the Kos website, so that we can contribute via the website since the email links are blocked.

12. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Oct, 2020 08:52 PM

Thanks for your more recent comments in this thread.

Yes, we are in agreement that this is an issue deserving a quick resolution. We know that suggesting that individual users employ these white-listing strategies is far from ideal. In the meantime, we'd like to encourage using the site's Search function as described above to work around the blocked links to stories.

As far as campaigns go, you should also be able to find the information displayed on the website.

Here is the Endorsement page: https://elections.dailykos.com/app/elections/2020/endorsements Currently, we show only our presidential and senatorial endorsements. Soon, we will display the rest of our endorsed candidates, including links to their donation pages. In the meantime, you can look for stories about down-ballot candidates we've endorsed on this page: https://www.dailykos.com/tags/DailyKosEndorsements Those stories will contain links for making donations.

Thanks again for your patience, and apologies again for the annoyance and inconvenience.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2020-09-17_at_4.43.46_PM.png 80.6 KB
  • Screen_Shot_2020-09-17_at_4.45.11_PM.png 136 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac