Group Membership

bleeding blue

15 Sep, 2020 02:59 AM

How, as an Blog Admin, do I add members to our local blog group? I've done this task many times, but now there seems to be no way to access that function. What's up?

1. 1 Posted by bleeding blue on 16 Sep, 2020 02:46 AM

Well, I did find the answer my problem. It appears that you need to wait 30 seconds to load the new Admin Control panel. That seems to be an excessive amount of time, but I guess "it is what it is". Now known, I can certainly live with it.

2. 2 Posted by Eyesbright on 16 Sep, 2020 05:26 PM

Be aware! You won't receive anything telling you (1.) that the invitation has been sent or (2.) that the invitation has been accepted.
    I've just been dealing with that in the last few minutes. The only way I could know that the invitation had been accepted is that the group name now shows on the person's profile.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 16 Sep, 2020 07:27 PM

Note: here's what my new member said happened:
    "... invite was sent to my personal email from “[email blocked]” a little before 9 p.m. yesterday. The email said the invite was from you and had a button to click in order to join the group. When I did, I was immediately added."
    EDIT: the system blocks that e-mail address from showing so I'll write it out: "do not reply at daily kos dot com."

4. 4 Posted by mettle fatigue on 16 Sep, 2020 09:50 PM

It appears that in some cases (conditions unknown) the invited person will show as invited at the group's members page/panel but the invitation won't have actually reached the invited person's kosmail inbox at all.

It also appears that admins and editors may never receive the "such'n'such has been invited to join this group" kosmail.

And it may take 15 or so hours after an invited person who did receive it --and accepts it-- before admins and eds receive a group kosmail "such'n'such has accepted as a member of the group".

Likewise if/when a contributor is promoted to editor and editor to admin ... or possibly no such announcement will occur at all.

5. 5 Posted by bleeding blue on 16 Sep, 2020 11:27 PM

Thanks! I completed my invitation and the new group member was added. You are correct in that the process is just shooting in the dark, but I was in contact with the new member so I did get a verification from them.

The new Group Page is pretty and all, with nice BIG pictures, but I prefer the old list, instead of having to click "next" a dozen times to see all the members, or to find one in particular.

6. 6 Posted by mettle fatigue on 17 Sep, 2020 02:59 AM

I'm with you. If utilitarian concerns get addressed first, aesthetics can always be added. Some of the utilitarian concerns were stated to be for making things easier for device-users, but that doesn't seem to be well-addressed either, e.g., grey-on-grey buttons with very small print, extensive wasted spacing making so many click-equivalent motions necessary that device-users may never get where they're going, and so on. Where groups are the issue, effective communications are crucial - all the kinds that admins in particular have to do. Hopefully the design will improve over time.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac