I can't see images that are posted in comments.

Gwennedd

29 Jul, 2020 09:15 PM

Hey there! I can't see any images ( except my own) that are posted in comments. All I get is a big black space where the image should be. I can see the thumbnail images on the right-hand diaries lists and people's avatars. It's just weird. Any thoughts?
Gwennedd.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 29 Jul, 2020 09:39 PM

Hi, Gwennedd

Many different elements of the internet have to work properly for the information we provide to reach you as it should. Sometimes the problem with a poor site load arises simply because of a bad or slow internet connection. Reloading a page (with a hard refresh) can sometimes resolve the problem completely.

The next two most common causes for a poor site load are also relatively easy to identify, and they're both relatively easy for you to fix. One of main causes is an overfull cache and/or outdated cookies. The other is having incompatible add-ons or extensions for your browser. Each problem has a fairly straightforward test and solution.

The caching issue, if that's what's causing the interference, can be solved by clearing your cache and cookies for Daily Kos. It's just as well to take the additional step of closing and reopening your browser after you do this clearing. Keep in mind that deleting your cookies will automatically log you off of the site. The steps for clearing cache and cookies depend on your browser and device, so it will be up to you to find that information.

To see if there is interference caused by an incompatible extension, try opening the site via a private or incognito window. Doing so disables almost all the add-ons or extensions you may have on your browser. Thus, if the site loads easily and fully then you probably have demonstrated that one or more of your extensions is not playing well with our site. That's the easy part. The hard part comes with going through a process of elimination to determine which one(s) to blame. Once you do that, then you can decide whether to retain those extensions or not. Some browsers allow extensions to be disabled for certain sites, but that's something for you to investigate.

Extensions typically causing trouble include adblockers, NoScript, and EXIF Quick View, among several others.

This link can explain how to find the list of extensions on some standard browsers.

Nowadays it's also true that browsers (especially Firefox) have increased security settings that can affect how some of our embedded material will display. Plus, a few extensions are NOT disabled in private/incognito mode, so that little trick might not diagnose the problem completely.

If neither of these remedies address the problem for you, then please return with more details. In particular, our chances of helping you quickly are better if you tell us:
    - your device (desktop/laptop OR phone or tablet) - your operating system and its version (whether it's Windows or Mac for a desktop OR iOS or Android for a mobile) - your browser and its version - a sample URL for a story that is not loading well for you - the route you used to get to that story

Thanks for your help with troubleshooting, and thanks for your support of the site.

2. 2 Posted by Gwennedd on 29 Jul, 2020 11:52 PM

It looks as though it's videos that are not showing. I just posted a video and all I got on DK was a large black screen where that video should have been.
    I'll clear my cashe and cookies and see if that helps. I don't have any extensions except MAKA ( Make America Kittens Again) ...no adblockers.

3. 3 Posted by Gwennedd on 30 Jul, 2020 01:46 AM

I've cleared the cashe and cookies, but I'm still just seeing a big black screen where a video should be. Apparently others are able to see the video I posted...just not me.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac