i cannot reply or comment on all diaries

meinoregon

28 Jul, 2020 10:49 PM

most of the time (85%) i can comment and/or reply to a comment on any given diary, sometimes (10%) i have to log off and log in again to get to a few, but (5%) there a couple that i cannot get to at all. one diarist in particular is joan mccarter.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 28 Jul, 2020 11:23 PM

It's all a matter of timing, which I will explain. The simplest answer comes first--but then there are lots of other details which you can consider if you like.

The window during which a user can Recommend (or, if a Trusted User, flag) most comments is only open for 24 hours at the most. (There is one major exception: Tip Jars can be recommended or flagged for seven days, not just one.) Front page writers do typically do not have Tip Jars.

The time frame during which comments can be replied to is generally longer -- with one key detail. Any post can have comments made to it, either directly to the post or to a comment someone makes on it, for nine days post-publication. But that nine-day limit post-publication also applies to a comment made eight days after the post was published; the limit does not keep getting extended with new comments.

In other words: If you happen to come by a post that is eight days and twenty-three hours old and make a comment on it, then other users will have only the remaining half-hour to react to your comment, either with a recommendation or a reply.

There is one more wrinkle. If a post is republished, that nine-day reply window re-opens for the post and new comments on it. In practice, then, old posts that might have been republished by Daily Kos Classics (to name one example) regain the possibility of having comments made on them. But the original set of comments made on the post from the first go-round are not available for replies or recommendations.

For the vast majority of posts, which are neither heavily visited nor republished, both constraints seem to work well. Most posts get their heaviest traffic within a short time after publication; most are already well beyond active discussion before 24 hours have passed.

We appreciate your support of the mission of the site!

2. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 28 Jul, 2020 11:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac