How do I set default to Desktop Site on mobile and cancel the 'show simplified view'?

SirVantes

27 Jul, 2020 03:13 AM

Hello,

The old layout was bad enough for someone using Android because it always went to the mobile site which forced me to wait for that to load before being able to open the Main page.

Now that option is often not seen anywhere.

How do I toggle the main site to be my default when logged in on my mobile? And how do I cancel the 'show simplified view".

Both have prompted me many hundreds of times and the answer has always been the same, cancel and show the main site.

Thanks
SV

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 27 Jul, 2020 03:50 PM

It sounds like somehow you wound up viewing the desktop version of the site, instead of the mobile version of the site, on your mobile device.

It's easy to get back to the mobile version. There are several ways to do so, some more persistent than others.

One of them is to scroll way, way down to the bottom of the home page. (It is a very long way on most mobiles.) Just above the black footer section, you'll see a couple of orange links toward the right margin. One of those links says "View Mobile Site." Click on it, and the page will redirect to the mobile view.

But the next time you open a Daily Kos tab on your mobile device, you're likely to be sent to the full view, because that's the last choice you made when you opened a tab, and the site is trying to be helpful. :)

Thus the more long-lasting way to get back to the mobile view is to delete your cookies ("website data") for Daily Kos from the mobile device. The mobile view is actually the default on a phone or tablet, so clearing cookies will cause the site to load the mobile page the next time you open a new tab for it. Rebooting the phone before going back to the site can help this reset, too. Please also keep in mind that deleting your website data on your mobile device will log you out, so you'll need to have your password available to log back in.

The URL for each version is a little different, too.
    https://www.dailykos.com is the desktop (full) site.
    https://m.dailykos.com is the mobile site.

Thanks for your support of the site's mission

2. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 27 Jul, 2020 03:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac