What means "There was an error with updating the editor. ◻ Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs. ◻ OK" in practical terms

mettle fatigue

02 Jul, 2020 04:15 AM

and how do I get a published diary I'm re-editing to behave normally?

Never encountered this error message before, but now it's twice today, and at the current revision-in-progress there's a full-width image that originally was aligned right that I cannot make turn blue in order to reposition properly nor even to delete, not even by right-clicking to get the various options right-clicking usually produces.

Not sure if it matters, but the text and images I'm working on in this 2nd diary are entirely pasted in after the original text and images were entirely deleted, including the title. Repurposing the diary-shell, IOW. But I've done this often before without any difficulties at all. So this is a little ... peculiar.

Hoping this makes sense to someone skilled? :)

1. 1 Posted by mettle fatigue on 02 Jul, 2020 04:33 AM

And it fixed itself ... I guess.

But still I would appreciate a translation of that error message into United Federation of Planets-standard, especially the 2nd sentence, in case tis happens again, so I know what actions I'd lose ability to do or gain to do if I were to click the box for "Prevent"...

Thanks!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Jul, 2020 05:57 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

I agree, sometimes the error messages are unnecessarily opaque, and I'm not entirely sure what it means either. But the rest of your query suggests a possible explanation.

You were trying to edit an already-published story? What was the story URL and when was it originally published? I might be able to explain more with that information.

As a general rule, I'd encourage you not to bother repurposing draft shells, or even story shells. For a variety of reasons, the shells do go stale after a while, leading to odd and undesirable results. If you have a bunch of old drafts hanging around, better to delete them altogether (salvaging content if you wish) and start completely afresh.

3. 3 Posted by mettle fatigue on 04 Jul, 2020 12:51 AM

thanks, Staff. If I limit the question to "what does DIALOGUES" mean in this context, might there be a definition of that?

I appreciate the wisdom of the general rule about not repurposing draft shells. I don't. The question I raised doesn't involve unpublished drafts.

I do extensively repurpose published diary shells for a variety of good functions without incident 2016 onward until now... a situation that rectified itself (unless I intuitively did something effective without realizing it).

I've also re-edited some diaries probably literally a thousand times, e.g., ■ Where the DailyKosgroups Are: Links to DK’s 280+ Local, IRL, Political & Geographic Groups, by State & Beyond, 2011-2020 ■ http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/18/1241736/-Where-The-Kogs-Are-A-Preliminary-Local-Groups-Index-by-State-Region-as-of-February-17-2014 ■ which is a wonderful capacity DK offers (perhaps inadvertantly) since attempts to recopy the hard-won & constantly-in-flux data and text into a brand new diary have been extremely hard work for somewhat error-laden results.

The balky-then-cooperative already-published story (a literal story, in this instance) is here https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/3/1934130/-GAO-study-on-lobbyist-disclosure-compliance-how-compliant-are-they altho' I don't know if it's worth your putting effort into (unless you like fairy tales rewritten feminist) since it did become cooperative. Maybe whatever happened was just a slightly prolonged fluke...

Again, I would value knowing what "DIALOGUES" usually mean or how they are defined in the context of a system error-message.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jul, 2020 09:41 PM

All right, I see better now why that error message didn't ring a bell. I don't think it was generated by our own system. Please look at this link and see if it makes more sense within the context where you saw it: https://support.procore.com/faq/i-clicked-prevent-this-page-from-cr...

Now that you have raised the issue of a multiply-revised-and-republished post, however, I'd like to suggest you stop doing so. It's in your best interest to figure out a way to reproduce the content within a new shell if only because a revision will not be listed in the Recents. (The system won't recognize stale story IDs.) I realize that the formatting issues are real, but you may be better served with another organizational approach. Furthermore, on that particular story, about half of the commenters within it are bojoed. That's not such a good look, honestly.

Regarding that last post, it's true that the collective editing process is itself rather prone to accident, however, so it's entirely possible that a missed cue regarding a save could have caused the glitches.

Thanks.

5. 5 Posted by mettle fatigue on 18 Jul, 2020 12:40 AM

Thank you, staff, for continuing to look into that error message issue. I've bookmarked the webpage you brought, in case the problem occurs again without my being able to resolve it as I did before (by guess and by golly).

Your advice about x100+ revisions of material was ... interesting. It's not clear to me whether you actually used the link for ■ Where the DailyKosgroups Are: Links to DK’s 280+ Local, IRL, Political & Geographic Groups, by State & Beyond, 2011-2020 ■ http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/18/1241736/-Where-The-Kogs-Are-A-Preliminary-Local-Groups-Index-by-State-Region-as-of-February-17-2014 ■ before reaching your conclusion.

Furthermore, I'm aware that re-edited diaries do not hit the Recents list, but what YOU may not recall about copying pre-existing data into a new shell is what happened with the Kos Katalog in 2016, laboriously recopied for November publication /with confidence that the DK system would operate as always in the past with this annual publication. Alas, the dk system FAILED to put that huge volunteerist labor of love onto on the Recents list, and possibly not in anyone's activity stream either. As a result, from what the workers on that project were told and relayed around, the Kos Katalog also could never reach the RECOMMENDED list no matter how massively rec'd by individual kosaks. Consequently, it failed to attract popular attention, and a lot of people's livelihoods were badly impacted that year and the next, despite my promptly starting to post this series of diaries https://www.dailykos.com/tags/DeptsOfKosKatalog in which I surrounded pre-existing text with enough original text and images to make them all show on the Recent list. "...enough original text and images to make them all show..." being my hypothesis about why those diaries did appear on the Recent list vs why the full 2017-18 edition of the Katalog did not. I have a master's in information science that included a modest amount of computer program tech from back in 1975, and while that doesn't remotely equip me to do work approaching what the tech crew does here, it's enough to faciliate some reasonably useful guesses, as the modest success of that series of diaries attests.

Now, I don't know whether the 2018-19 Katalog had the same not-on-RECENT list problem, but unless someone here can produce evidence to demonstrate that it DIDN'T, the evidence of the 2016-17 KosKatalog demonstrates the HIGH LIKELIHOOD THAT YOUR ADVICE ABOUT RECOPYING my dk group indexes into new shells also will fail to put those diaries onto the rec list. An experiment to find out would not require as much labor as the KosKatalog did, but I would need evidence of a good probability of success before I would attempt such an experiment. An example of such evidence might be to find the 2018-19 Kos Katalog on a RECENT DIARIES page for November 20, 2018, 6pm pst, and send me the link for that page. The seach for it is not something I could even begin to know how to do, but tech crew expertise probably is up for the job, assuming this is considered worth the time and effort involved.

Personally, I think it might be worth it, if site management has faith in Daily Kos's two-hundred-eighty local groups as a potentially powerfully collective mechanism for getting out the vote in this catastrophic year and for this historically crucial election. The appearance of that index-diary might indeed help spur the real-world activism of kosaks as distinct from the bloggery that so often passes for real work. I'm not sure the kosak community actually is real-world-work oriented, but I'm willing to wager the recopying labor (no small effort for a disabled volunteer with extensive upper limb damages) IF the tech crew has enough faith in site membership to find and deliver the evidence that the labor would in fact produce a RECENTable diary.

Please note: I am NOT demanding that you or anyone in tech do anything. I've simply outlined what tech crew COULD do if dk local group effectivity in the real world interests site ownership and management enough to facilitate my volunteerism on faith.

Finally, thank you SO much for telling me what's in my best interests to work on, including how many of the modest number of commenters are bojo'd. DK has bojo'd so many valuable, irreplaceable kosaks, that I take their presence in that thread ---as well as Neeta Lind's, of course--- as a high compliment. It is in fact, "honestly", THE BEST LOOK until site management figures out how to recognize and respect genuine dissent rather than hew to mob rule and the demands of site ego.

Thank you again. I appreciate your giving the original issue thought and finding that link for me. I hope the information on technologic events involving the Kos Katalog will be of value in turn.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Jul, 2020 01:57 PM

Thanks for your feedback.

We know from how the processes are set up that every draft story created acquires a unique ID number. Regardless of the length of time between that draft creation and the publication of that shell, the number of times a particular title is revised, or the number of times a story is unpublished and republished, it will retain that unique ID. The database needs that fixity to operate as simply and reliably as possible.

The Recent List (now, two separate displays on the Front Page but one continuous stream) is limited -- with very generous parameters -- to include stories whose unique IDs have a reasonable likelihood of being truly recent. Hence the difficulty that arises with using old shells. For convenience I'll still call it the Recents here.

Similarly, the Rec List (now Trending) will pull stories from the Recent List that meet the criteria set by the algorithm for the number of recs they receive + the speed with which they receive them. If a story is not on the Recent List then it is not available for the algorithm to pick it up for Trending.

The automated system for populating both streams (Recents and Trending) works remarkably well, and it's not at all likely that we will change them to permit manual adjustments to the process.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 18 Jul, 2020 01:57 PM.

8. mettle fatigue re-opened this discussion on 19 Jul, 2020 07:38 AM

9. 7 Posted by mettle fatigue on 19 Jul, 2020 07:38 AM

That's an informative reply, but it doesn't explain the system failing to recognize a brandnew Kos Katalog shell as a new diary that belonged on the Recents lists in November 2016, and it doesn't say whether that glitch was ever recognized and repaired.

If it wasn't repaired, I would almost certainly waste massive time and effort recopying WhereTheKogsAre or DK's155+HealthCommtyGrps to new shells. Which is what your (or whomever's) earlier responses here seemed intent on persuading me to do, calling it "in [my] best interests."

You were given the information that contradicted the assertion that it would be in my best interests to do that recopying. Now you say the system works remarkably well. That might be a reasonably accurate general assessment, but a general assessment has no bearing on what tech crew does or doesn't know about the Kos Katalog fail as a prediction for whether it's in my best interests or not to recopy either of the two massive dk group indexes.

Do you have any genuinely applicable FACTS to bring that reliably predict a recopied, massive amt of 'old data' similar to KosKatalogue 2017 actually being treated by the remarkably well-working dk system now as a recent diary? For example, as I suggested previously, have you found the RECENTS page from November 20, 2018, 6pm pst showing that the 2018 KosKatalog was accepted as "new" by the system.

If there are no practical facts to predict that the system even MIGHT treat a recopy of WhereTheKogsAre as a brand new diary, we might need to agree about tempering confidence in advising kosaks about the use of old drafts and old diary shells.

One feature rather than bug of old drafts, for example, is that they can safely be used for storage of all sorts of useful information with no fear of being accidentally posted precisely because ---even with tags-- the system simply won't publish them, as you acknowledged earlier in seeming to consider that a disadvantage. More accurately, even if unintentionally, it's a valualbe little fail-safe.

Thank you for that last reply, as tangential as it was, since I wasn't requesting that the system for populating Recents & Trending be changed. But nothing learned is ever wasted. Unless forgotten, of course.

Hoping to hear back that there are facts to predict the success of diaries composed solely of massively recopied data. This was best-interests advice of staff to me also tangential to my revised original question of what "Dialogues" meant in the context where I encountered it. I'm interested to know definitively whether it's good advice or not, since if it's good, I can consider acting upon it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac