Need to change user name

Daniel Schwartz (unverified)

01 Jul, 2020 03:25 PM

Hello,

I want to change my user name to be some pseudonym to use for purposes of posting a cartoon on your website. How can I do this?

Your system is very screwy. There doesn't seem to be any work around. If I try to simply abandon my account and create a new one, I can't do this because it says that my email address is "already taken". This means I have to also abandon my email address. I refuse to do this. This is my email address and I don't want to throw it away on your behalf. Also, there is no way to simply close the account and thereby remove my email address from your database.

In virtually all websites, a user is identified by their email address, and only the address. If you took this approach, then there would be no problem with changing the user name. I don't know who designed your system, but that person is an idiot. There is no good reason for such asinine restrictions.

Please delete all references to me and my email address from your database. Then I will try to create a new account with a new user name. Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Jul, 2020 07:55 PM

Hello, and thanks for reaching out to us.

We don't delete user accounts, so that's not a route you can use to start over and make a new one associated with this email address. But there are a couple of options you can use yourself to make it possible to have your preferred email address associated with your new username.

In fact, as I look at the record for the username Daniel Schwartz I see that there was one email address used to create it, namely the one you've used to write this ticket to Help Desk. At some point you changed your email of record to one associated with an academic institution. Which email are you getting the "already taken" message on? The system ought to permit you to create a new user account under the dan@... email now, since it's no longer the email of record. Are you trying to use that one and getting blocked?

2. 2 Posted by Daniel Schwartz... on 01 Jul, 2020 09:42 PM

Hi,

I tried changing my email address to one I use at my work (FSU), hoping this would allow me to create a new account using my preferred email dan@..., but this didn’t work. Your system still said that that email address (dan@…) is “taken”. Can’t you just delete everything and let me start over creating a new account?

As I said, your system is really screwy. I’ve never seen anything like this before.

Dan Schwartz

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Jul, 2020 10:40 PM

Ah, I see.

Sorry, I misspoke in my earlier reply to you. What you can do is create a new username with any email address that is not in our system -- including, for example, an alias under a current email address you have -- because our check for matches takes place on account creation. Then, after the account is created and activated and you login, you can change the email of record on this new user account to be whatever you please.

4. 4 Posted by Daniel Schwartz... on 02 Jul, 2020 02:32 PM

Unfortunately, now that I have created a second account with my real name and my work email address, that email address is “taken” too, so I can’t use it to create an account with a pseudonym. Really, this is just bizarre. You need to fix your system.

Once again, can’t you just delete everything from you database and let me start over? Why can’t I simply close my account?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Jul, 2020 05:49 PM

I see one account for Daniel Schwartz which was created using the [email blocked] email and now has the academic email address associated with it. What is your second username?

6. 6 Posted by Daniel Schwartz... on 02 Jul, 2020 06:13 PM

I want to use the alias “Frogpants” as my account name, and associate this with the email address from which this email is being sent, [email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]>

Can you do this?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Jul, 2020 06:59 PM

Thanks for explaining.

I can't set up your new account, but I ought to be able to clear the way for you to do it and eventually wind up with the email you wish to have associated with the account.

What I propose:

1. I will change the email of record for Daniel Schwartz back to the one you used to create it.

2. You would then be able to create the account Frogpants using your academic email address, because that will no longer be in the system as a name associated with a username.

3. Once you create and activate your new Frogpants account, you will be able to edit the email associated with it, giving it the dan@... email address for the record.

Sound like a plan?

8. 8 Posted by Daniel Schwartz... on 02 Jul, 2020 09:24 PM

Okay, let’s try it and see if it works. Thanks.

9. 9 Posted by Daniel Schwartz... on 02 Jul, 2020 09:27 PM

Your system says that my academic address is “taken”, so this won’t work.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Jul, 2020 09:38 PM

I didn't switch it until seeing your reply. Please try it in about 15 minutes, to give the back end time to update.

11. 11 Posted by Daniel Schwartz... on 03 Jul, 2020 01:06 AM

Well, I managed to create a new account with username Frogpants and my academic email address, but when I went to change the email address, I couldn’t find that page again. If I click on the “D” in the upper right corner, it sends me to my Google account, which is in my name, Daniel Schwartz, and besides the fact that I don’t want to change my google account, there is no mention of an email address. This is new, and very confusing.

Basically, I have given up. I don’t have any more time to fuss with this thing. You need to fix your system.

12. 12 Posted by Daniel Schwartz... on 03 Jul, 2020 02:45 AM

Hello again,

My apologies. I was clicking on the wrong button. I did find the right page and it seems to have worked. Thanks for your help.

Nonetheless, I still think you need to rework your system. This shouldn’t have to be so difficult.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Jul, 2020 09:49 PM

Thank you for your patience and persistence in navigating a system that is not designed as you would prefer. I'm glad it eventually worked out for you. Apologies for making it a little more complicated than it needed to be.

14. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 07 Jul, 2020 09:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac