Commenting

Sisterskeeper

30 Jun, 2020 10:14 PM

Hi, lately about half the time I have not been able to post a comment. I hit reply but no box opens for my comment.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Jul, 2020 03:07 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

Are you on Safari by any chance? If so, then it's possible that you are encountering an issue that primarily appears to affect users on (older versions of) Safari. Whether you are not seeing a comment box at all, or seeing something that looks like a whole array of icons not displayed in a useful form, the underlying issue is the same: the editor box is not fully loading.

Our developers have identified the source of the problem, and they have created a workaround for the site that minimizes the likelihood of it arising for our users. It’s something that affects other sites using similar software and the comprehensive fix for the original source has not yet been implemented.

We also have some suggestions to improve site performance on your device if this issue arises for you.

First, it will help if you clear your browser cache frequently for Daily Kos-related data AND then restart your browser immediately afterwards. It is NOT necessary or useful to clear cookies, which may make this process slightly less annoying. Instructions for clearing a browser cache, either on a desktop or a mobile browser, are available in many locations online.

Second, it is also a good strategy to use a private window on Safari when you visit Daily Kos. Doing so prevents the kind of data upload from our server to your browser that elicits this misfire with the comment/story editor.

Third, which for many users could be an unwelcome or inadequate solution, you may prefer to use a different browser altogether. But there's an important detail to keep in mind. All browsers available on iOS (that is, iPhones and iPads) also must use some core features of Safari. Thus, installing Firefox or Chrome on a mobile device might not fully address the problem for you. The other two workarounds, however, should help a great deal.

Apologies for the inconvenience that you’re experiencing! Thank you for your persistence and for your support of the site’s mission.

If you're not on Safari, then please feel free to return with some representative story URLs that aren't permitting comments to open for you, along with the operating system and browser that you are using.

2. 2 Posted by Sisterskeeper on 02 Jul, 2020 08:40 PM

Clearing the cache has not helped, in fact now I can not post a comment at all.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Jul, 2020 08:43 PM

I'm sorry to hear that it's worsened. Please tell me what you do see now, and include the URL of the story you wish to comment on. Also, we need to know what OS and version of Safari you're on. Thanks.

4. 4 Posted by Sisterskeeper on 02 Jul, 2020 10:14 PM

I see everything, but when I press “ comment” or “ reply” no comment box opens. Nothing happens. I can read all comments of others, I can read replies to my older comments as well. My OS is 13.5.1 , Safari is the browser.

Sent from my iPad

5. 5 Posted by Sisterskeeper on 02 Jul, 2020 10:18 PM

One thing did just work- instead of accessing The Kos from my favorites page I opened up a new safari window and typed Kos into window. I was able to comment. So maybe no favorite anymore?

Sent from my iPad

6. 6 Posted by Sisterskeeper on 02 Jul, 2020 10:28 PM

But even with a new safari window I still cannot comment a reply to others comments, only an initial comment of my own. Better, but still.......strange

Sent from my iPad

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Jul, 2020 11:02 PM

Hi again. Hmmmm. That is really interesting.

Which iPad edition are you on? We can try to replicate it next week, to see if we learn something illuminating. Meanwhile, yes, it seems probably best to avoid the route that is giving you difficulty.

Also, are you on old-style comments or new "lazy" comments? It might be worth switching. Do you recall how to do that change?
    Go to https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false for a global reset to the old-style comments. Replace false with true to set for the new-style comments.

We'll be interested in hearing more. Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

8. 8 Posted by Sisterskeeper on 02 Jul, 2020 11:43 PM

Thanks so much for all your patience and help. The newer version of your site had other problems that were just as annoying so I switched back to the older version at the suggestion of help desk last year. Lol.

Sent from my iPad

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Jul, 2020 09:40 PM

Ohhh. Well, I don't quite have an answer for you, but I will report that we've had enough complaints about the comment box not opening for folks that we're going to take a more comprehensive look. I'll make a note to keep you in the loop.

If you do want to try to switch comment styles as I suggested above that might be useful in the short term. So sorry that you're blocked for the time being.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac