Cannot see my user name or "Blog it!" icon but seem to be signed on - only with Firefox

Denver11

27 Jun, 2020 06:12 PM

I had a recent computer crash and had to reinstall all apps and programs. I can get into DKos via Firefox but the top of my page looks like attached image, and in addition the right side bar only shows trending, not community or recent blog posts. However, on my older Mac, using Firefox with same settings (as best I can tell) - all works normally - I see the blog it icon and see my user name. I can't find any differences in Firefox settings between the two computers, and DKos works fine on rebooted computer when I access via Safari. Ideas on what is going on or how to un-glitch the system? Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Jun, 2020 08:29 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking. Sorry for the annoyance.

It's clearly something going on with this version of Firefox, so you're on the right track. It might not be the settings for Firefox per se, but it may well be an extension that you have on the newer Firefox that is causing the problem.

Most of the time, we rely on a little trick to help us confirm that there's a problematic extension. If you open Firefox in a private window, that mode will disable most extensions. Thus, if the site operates well, you have a very strong indication that there's an extension that doesn't play well with the site. The catch is that not all extensions are indeed disabled that way, so you still might have to check them out individually if private mode doesn't load the site well. And, if it does, you'll still have to go through a process of elimination to discover the culprit(s). Often, we find that adblockers and third-party tracker blockers are the source of difficulty. We've also had some reports of DuckDuckGo not playing well with our code.

I hope this suggestion proves useful. If not, please feel free to return.

Thanks for your support of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2020 08:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac