Re blogging

ZenTrainer

12 Jun, 2020 06:07 PM

When I use Internet Explorer as my browser and want to re blog something I click the "add to blog button", and the list of groups I belong to comes up and I can choose to re blog to the groups queue or publish it to any of those groups.

When I'm using Microsoft Edge as my browser and want to re blog something I click the "add to blog button" and only my first group (in alphabetical order) comes up. I have a choice to queue or publish to the group. I don't get the list that lets me choose a group.

I have to queue or publish a diary to each group that comes up to be able to have my next group come up when I hit "add to blog".

Internet Explorer doesn't work so well on DK so I'd like to be able to use Microsoft Edge more except for this glitch.

My work around is to put whatever piece I want to republish in the queue of each group and add a queue note which says "please don't republish there is a glitch in the system". (And if I have time I go back and remove those diaries from the queues.) That's a long way round though. Do you happen to have a short cut?

Thanks!
Tracy

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 12 Jun, 2020 07:35 PM

Just a note that I hope helps: I use Firefox (and have for many years) and never have a problem republishing a diary to any of the applicable blogs.
    Come to think of it, in my 30+ years of 'puting (c. 1989), Firefox has been the most problem-free of any software of any type that I've used.

2. 2 Posted by ZenTrainer on 13 Jun, 2020 12:28 AM

Nice to know Eyesbright. I have Firefox but am not a fan. Edges is very fast and clean. I'm sticking with IE for as long as sites still support it but that's fading fast. :-(

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Jun, 2020 05:18 PM

Hello, and thanks for raising this issue.

That definitely sounds like a bug on Edge. I'll investigate it now. If I can replicate it directly, I'll write a ticket for it right away. But if I can't then I'll return with more questions. It's unusual but not unheard-of for Edge to have problems that IE does not. However, please do check on a private Edge window when you have a moment, on the off chance that you've got an extension there that isn't playing well with the site.

Thanks again.

4. 4 Posted by ZenTrainer on 19 Jun, 2020 03:11 PM

Thanks! On IE DK only loads the front page now. No rec list, no recents etc. And as I've said before I haven't even been able to log in the normal way for a long time with that browser.

5. 5 Posted by mettle fatigue on 26 Jun, 2020 03:28 AM

For whatever it may be worth, I've notice pile-up of incompletely reblogged diaries in probably 7 or 8 groups in recent months. When the authors are members of a group where I'm an admin, I've kosmailed to the authors to ask if they noticed any difficulty in attempting to reblog to the group or did the intentionally only put their diaries in the queue. No one has replied, which suggests that they may not even realize their reblogging got hung up and consequently couldn't understand what I was asking.

Some of the groups where I've seen this apparently occur multiple times include IN SUPPORT OF UNIONS AND LABOR, ARKANSAS KOS, ALABAMA KOS, READERS & BOOKLOVERS, among others. But it might have more to do with what devices and browsers etc the kosaks are using than with any particular group.

6. 6 Posted by Puddytat on 29 Jun, 2020 02:32 PM

I just tried it's confusing on Edge. I have to actually select the group that appears to get the list to scroll down . It looks like I'm choosing that group instead of being offered a list.

Perhaps "select" should appear in the box instead of a group name. If it confuses me, who's been here since 2008, I'm sure it would confuse others - particularly newbies. We might be losing some excellent reblogs.

7. 7 Posted by mettle fatigue on 30 Jun, 2020 01:23 AM

Puddytat, when I'm teaching reblogging to kosaks who don't know how, I have to remember to tell them to click that top section regardless of what group is displayed/shown in it, that that is NOT a selection of a group to reblog to. I suspect you're right that it confuses anyone who hasn't got a tech mentor the way some of us did. I emphasize that peculiarity in the informal tutorial ["How2 Q Drafts to Grps You're In, to Publish There; & How2 Republish/Reblog Diaries too. rev’d 27Feb20 https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/2/11/1632701/-How-to-Queue-Your-Draft-to-a-Group-You-re-In-In-Order-to-Publish-it-There-How2Republish-too] in case that diary can be helpful to link to, altho' it really has too much in it, I fear.

ZenTrainer clarified elsewhere that what she's finding in using the programs/systems she's chosen, is that she literally has to queue the selected diary to every single group Edge shows her in the ADD TO BLOG windowdown, in the exact order shown, in order to be able to actually reblog that diary to the groups in the list that she actually WANTS to reblog to.

This sounds related to the fact that when a diary has already been queued to or reblogged to a group, that group will NOT be listed in the ADD TO BLOG windowbox.

I.e., I'm no coder, haven't used any programming languages except DOS since 2 others in the 1970s, but there seems to be a sort of exclusion failure involved. fwiw....

8. 8 Posted by ZenTrainer on 30 Jun, 2020 01:57 AM

Puddytat - "I just tried it's confusing on Edge. I have to actually select the group that appears to get the list to scroll down . It looks like I'm choosing that group instead of being offered a list."

That's exactly what happens! Only one group shows on the "re-blog to" list at a time. I have to queue or republish to that group in order to move to the next. In the olden days of Inernet Explorer when I clicked on "reblog to" the whole list of my groups would drop down and I could choose them at random.

I really liked IE but it doesn't work a lot of places now. My tech friends told me to stay away from Chrome no matter what. Edge works great on so many things I hate to have to use multiple browsers.

9. 9 Posted by ZenTrainer on 03 Jul, 2020 03:17 PM

This problem is still happening in case anyone from Daily Kos staff is watching.

Is it because of whatever is happening in the background that is causing all the other glitches?

10. 10 Posted by mettle fatigue on 04 Jul, 2020 01:24 AM

Zen, since you are making the responsible-minded effort to go into queues and put notes on each diary that EDGE forced you to put there in order to reach the one or two or so groups where you actually wanted the reblogs to go, I think I can offer a very efficient and effective workaround at least for the groups where I'm an admin and you aren't. But the offer is contingent upon a commitment from you.

If you were an admin in each group EDGE forces you to queue unnecessary diaries to, you could go into those queues immediately after you finishing reblogging, and delete each unnecessarily queued item with LESS EFFORT than it takes to add the queue notes you have been writing.

So, I'm willing to promote you to admin in groups where I am an admin and you aren't PROVIDING you agree to do that deletion work in ALL groups where you are an admin, whether I'm a member or not.

The reason for this commitment is because it's clear that EDGE is the cause of the problem, but you find EDGE very convenient for yourself so you wish to continue using EDGE with DK as with whatever else. It seems a very fair agreement, therefore, that in exchange for your having the convenience of a program that leaves garbage behind, you agree to clean up all garbage you left behind that is or becomes within your technological reach to do.

Since admin status in any group is no small thing in terms of technologic power, you'd be getting a lot of power given on faith that you won't misuse it.

Please note: it's not be relevant to this agreement that you believe anyone in any other groups has said that queues packed with garbage are no problem to them. The commitment I require is clean-up of ALL garbage your use of EDGE creates.

It's a very ecological, environmental commitment.

And please note, I do not personally get anything out of the deal. Zero, zip, nada. I've simply decided that it's possible your real-life situation is tough enough that maybe the convenience of EDGE makes a significant difference for the better for you, even while, leaving a lot of queue-trash around the DK community.

I would guess that if this agreement works out in terms of your keeping the commitment, you could request admin status at other groups where your EDGE is leaving trash, based upon the same commitment to clean up, and the ENTIRE PROBLEM WOULD THEN CEASE TO EXIST..

11. 11 Posted by ZenTrainer on 05 Jul, 2020 07:39 PM

Surely I am not the only one here using Edge. It's the 2nd most widely used browser. Firefox is 3rd.

Chrome is 1st but I have a friend who does tech for places like the DOD and tells me DO NOT USE CHROME. (It has way too much spyware on it)

Mettle Fatique - feel free to remove me from your groups, I can start my own to republish to. My goal is to help elect more and better Democrats and for me that means getting candidates diaries the widest audience possible.

12. 12 Posted by mettle fatigue on 05 Jul, 2020 09:42 PM

Zen, I don't know what Chrome has to do with solving your Edge problems but please NOTE I'm not asking you to stop using Edge, I'm offering a solution to them.

The groups are not "mine", they are DK local groups where I accepted admin responsibilities and tasks.Removing people for anything but violating DK rules is not something I do.

If you start additional groups for the same areas, you will be splitting and burning up the focus and energies of kosaks concerned for and interested in those areas.

ALL of us have the same goals: to elect more and better democrats. Please help me understand what there is about my offer that would cause you any further effort. You are already going into group queues to put do-not-public queue notes on excess diaries, so going into group queues to delete excess diaries is even LESS effort.

And you would have admin-level tech abilities such as to recruit more members which certainly looks like serving your goal of getting candidate diaries to the widest audience possible.

While the dk tech crew works on reconciling dk tech with Edge tech, doesn't it make sense to spend less time and effort on group queues?

13. 13 Posted by ZenTrainer on 05 Jul, 2020 11:31 PM

MF - the problem is not mine to fix. I don't have time to put diaries in every groups queue AND then go back in and take them out. I shouldn't have to. I should have the choice of which groups I republish to.

This is a glitch in the DK system and is for DK techs to fix.

As I told you when you contacted me privately about this, I don't care how many diaries are in any of my groups. People queue stuff up to them weekly and for whatever reason don't republish.

I don't care if they sit there for years (and some have), they aren't bothering me at all. I don't have the time or inclination to remove them.

If there is no work around I'll keep doing what I've been doing, reblogging diaries to groups queues with a note, and hope that eventually the DK techs will fix this glitch.

14. 14 Posted by mettle fatigue on 06 Jul, 2020 01:29 AM

I agree you shouldn't have these problems. But until dk's tech crew can figure out how to solve them (in what's currently a verrrry difficult historical moment for everyone ... in the world), you DO have these problems. So, FOR MEANWHILE, I offered you an advantageous workaround.

You ALREADY are doing the responsible thing in going into queues and putting the Do-Not-Republish--DK-Is-Glitching notes on the excess diaries. You'd have way less effort and lose way less time if you simply deleted them.

That's the ability I'm offering you. Less effort, more power, and problem solved until it's fully solved.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac