Can't Make Comments Even in a Private Window

Edward Song

04 Jun, 2020 03:06 PM

Hello:

I can no longer make or reply to comments even in a private window. Initially, deleting the Daily Kos cookie and cache worked. But that stopped working. Then I could make comments on a private window, but that has now stopped working, too. I only have one extension, my video player, and I'm not going to delete that. Any suggestions?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 04 Jun, 2020 08:09 PM

Hello again.

I'm sorry that you continue to have site loading and access problems. Thanks for opening a public ticket; it may help draw some attention to the situation from other users experiencing similar difficulty.

Could you please note here what browser and operating system you're using? That way we can (with luck) encourage other commenters to report that same information.

Let's try one other diagnostic in case that helps us get a better idea about what's going on. I assume that you are viewing the site with the default version of comments, which is the new, "lazy" style of comments. (The expand/collapse arrow is small and at the upper left of the comment in this version; in the old style it's large, within a circle, at the upper right.) Could you please set your comments to the old style to see if that makes a difference for you? If it does, I'm not sure yet what that will mean, but it might be helpful to you in the meantime.

Here are the two ways to make the switch from new comments back to old:

To set the display of ALL comments in EVERY story to be in the OLD mode, go to this variation of the home page URL: https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false

Using this global true/false is the easiest way to switch. But there is also a way to change the comment display mode on individual stories. To do so requires a little more precision in altering a story URL.

To have an individual story display its comments in the NEW mode, add this string to the end of the story URL: ?new_comments=false Changing the setting for an individual story will not affect whatever you have for the global setting. (The reversal of this setting is of course to replace true with false.)

There is a little wrinkle to know if you wind up needing to switch a non-Front Page story to show the OLD comments. If a Community story has gained enough recommendations, it may have another little string starting with a ? after the story title. Don't worry about it; you can still append the ?new_comments=false string to the very end. Just make sure you don't cut off any of the URL before you stick that part on.

To undo this setting, the global URL is https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/true
    while the string to add to the end of an individual post is ?new_comments=true Or, simply clear your cookies for the site, since the new comments are the default style now.

We'll be keeping an eye on this ticket for further developments.

2. 2 Posted by Edward Song on 04 Jun, 2020 11:25 PM

Thanks. We'll see what happens. I'm on MacBook Air using Safari.

3. 3 Posted by Edward Song on 04 Jun, 2020 11:35 PM

My comment box reappeared in regular mode and window. Often times, I'm able to make a comment, especially is a small diary, then I run into problems. This morning, I was able to make a comment in the MFWOT Daily update Thread, then couldn't make any more comments after that. We'll see what happens in the morning. But I suspect that some days I'll be able to make comments and other days I won't. If I can't make any comments in the morning, I'll do what you have suggested.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Jun, 2020 02:00 AM

That is very odd. If it's intermittent like this I wonder also if it could be a matter of your network. If the number of comments in a post is a factor, then that suggests storage issues--but you've said you clear your cache regularly. I'll mull it over and check with others to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

5. 5 Posted by Addy (unverifie... on 05 Jun, 2020 02:56 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Login help requested

I don’t even remember, much less have access too, original email I used to sign up with more than I few years ago and am unable to reset my password. Could you help?

6. 6 Posted by CroneOMeter on 05 Jun, 2020 07:14 AM

I have been chased off Twitter and Fb, and now have problems using DK. Someone suggested I was 'bojo'd. I am old, and lost. I know my Nolagrl account of may years is useless. so is this one. Which suggests an attack on my ISP or phone number
    Am I lost forever?

7. 7 Posted by Edward Song on 05 Jun, 2020 01:21 PM

This morning, I was only able to make comments in a private window. Just a moment ago, I could not make any comments in a private window but could make comments in a regular window. This is very weird. Yesterday, I deleted all of my cookies and cache, not just the Daily Kos one. That did not seem to help, except I had to relog into all of my websites where the password had been saved.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Jun, 2020 04:25 PM

To Edward: Thanks. It's very weird indeed.
    To Addy: We did reply to you a few months ago when you made an earlier inquiry. Can you find that reply? Watch for another, private reply to a spinoff from this ticket, please, so we can get you squared away.
    To CroneOMeter: Users whose accounts are banned are not allowed to return.

9. 9 Posted by Edward Song on 05 Jun, 2020 04:41 PM

I'll try to find that inquiry later. I think I've had a couple of previous inquiries, I'm not sure how many. But it does seem to be related to the size of the diary, which may be because I don't have enough memory on my computer. But sometimes, I can't even comment in very small diaries even after I delete cookies.

10. 10 Posted by RaChangin (unve... on 05 Jun, 2020 11:06 PM

I'm new, and I'm logged in, but I'm unable to give props on comments, and don't even see a place to make comments even look stories published today.

All I get is "there was an error recommending the comment."

Am I missing something obvious?

11. 11 Posted by Edward Song on 06 Jun, 2020 02:57 PM

A new pattern has emerged. The problems persist early in the morning, but I have fewer problems later in the day.

Sorry for the double comment. I must have prematurely inadvertently submitted this comment.

12. 12 Posted by Edward Song on 06 Jun, 2020 03:03 PM

A new pattern has emerged. The problems persist early in the morning, but I have fewer problems later in the day, though problems do arise later in the day. It does seem like more problems are likely to arise in longer diaries with lots of comments. On the other hand, sometimes I need only to refresh the page in order for the problems to go away. Other times, nothing works even in short diaries with only one comment. On those days, I'll try your recent recommendation as a last-ditch effort. Someone told me that problems begin when you accidentally scroll over an ad. This may have caused some of the problems.

13. 13 Posted by Edward Song on 08 Jun, 2020 07:35 PM

It looks like my problem has spread to other websites. I can only watch Hulu programming on a private window now. This occurred after I downloaded a Zoom software program to be able to attend virtual meetings. Do you think Zoom is the culprit? Is there anything I can do to solve my computer problem?

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Jun, 2020 10:01 PM

Hmmm.

Whenever a change is introduced into a computer setup, then it can definitely have unintended consequences. It's worth digging a little further to see if Zoom could be the source of these difficulties. Let me ask: Do you have Zoom as a separate program/app or do you have it as an extension on your browser? In my own experience, it runs much better as a standalone app than as something installed/accessible via a browser.

15. 15 Posted by Edward Song on 09 Jun, 2020 12:14 PM

I got offered to attend a meeting (local Democratic Party meeting) and downloaded a link that they provided me. The link downloaded a free zoom software package.

Also, I was able to make comments this morning until I tried to recommend a diary. When I clicked on the recommend button, an Act Blue ad popped up instead. When the ad popped up, I was no longer able to make comments. I then deleted the Act Blue cookie. The comment box reappeared after the Act Blue cookie was deleted.

16. 16 Posted by Edward Song on 09 Jun, 2020 02:59 PM

I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the pop-up ads and Zoom has nothing to do with the problems. I have the same problems with Hulu as I do here on the Daily Kos. My Hulu website crashes when their free trial for Hulu+ ad pops up. The website can be run on a private window or if I delete the Hulu cookies.

Here on Daily Kos, I can usually start making comments again either (1) In a private window, (2) deleting the Daily Kos cookie, or (3) deleting the offending cookies. Deleting cookies sometimes doesn't work right away, but usually, after some time it will start working again.

17. 17 Posted by gunsqhawk on 09 Jun, 2020 03:01 PM

Thank you.

18. 18 Posted by Edward Song on 10 Jun, 2020 12:09 PM

After 20 minutes of turning on a private window and deleting cookies and repeating the process, I finally was able to make a comment. But I'm stuck not being able to make a second comment. I'm sorry but if problems continue to persist, I may just have to give it up here. I'll try a few more times but I'm getting fed up with this site. I like the content, but there are just too many technical problems on this site to make it worthwhile anymore.

I did try to go into old mode: https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false However, my computer or website would not allow me to do this.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jun, 2020 01:58 PM

I'm sorry that you continue to have such difficulty. I will confer with my colleagues today to see if there is anything I might have overlooked by way of suggestions. Your last comment (about not being able to switch to old-style comments) might be a useful clue.

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jun, 2020 05:42 PM

Hello again.
    If you don't mind, could you please explain exactly what happens when you cannot make a comment?
    Is it that there is no comment box displayed anywhere, either for a top-level comment or as a reply? Does the Reply button fail to open a comment box for you?
    And can you report any more commonalities for the circumstances when you cannot comment?
    Thanks.

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jun, 2020 07:16 PM

Hello again.

I did review your situation with my colleagues. The consensus is--especially because this is an intermittent problem--that the most likely culprit is your internet connection, perhaps in combination with something on your browser.

I am wondering whether you might have better luck trying to use the mobile site on a regular basis and not the full site. It's a smaller, lighter version and so it does not take as long to load, making it more stable for devices with less storage (and also perhaps better for folks with network problems). The mobile site is at https://m.dailykos.com Much of the display is present, though not all, and most of the functionality, though again not all. That option may help to some extent.

We're sorry not to be able to pin down more definitively what might be going awry with your site loading, and we hope that you can manage to devise a workaround that will permit you to continue to participate.

22. 22 Posted by Edward Song on 11 Jun, 2020 01:47 AM

The problem is worst during the early morning hours. I don't seem to have a problem in the afternoon. I'm wondering if this site has heavier traffic in the morning. It may be a problem with computer memory. Once in a while, I get a warning notice that: this website is using up a lot of memory.

23. 23 Posted by Edward Song on 11 Jun, 2020 11:51 AM

When I have problems, no comment box shows up. If the website runs smoothly, a comment box appears both at the top and bottom of the comments section. Sometimes, the comment box only appears at the bottom of the comments section. Usually, if I can't make a comment, I can't reply to a comment, too.

If no comment box shows up, I first check to see if I've logged in. If so, then I start my protocol of deleting cookies, and if that fails, opening this site on a private window.

24. Support Staff 24 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Jun, 2020 03:43 PM

Hello again. Yes, honestly, I think it's likely that your computer's memory is hard-pressed to keep up. That's why it might be helpful for you to try the mobile site (m.dailykos.com). It's not as fancy as the full site but it can get the job done. But otherwise, I think you do have the routine down, as best as you can.

Sorry there's not more that we can do.

25. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2020 03:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac