Media could not be played

jpompeo2

24 May, 2020 08:23 PM

Each time you send an E-mail with an embedded video, when I click on it, I get the message "The media could not be played".

1. 1 Posted by jold on 26 May, 2020 09:53 PM

This suddenly started happening to me as well, maybe 1-2 weeks ago. Not in emails but on the DK diary pages. Seems to only happen with twitter videos (all of them). I have to open it in twitter to view. I don't think any YouTube vids have been a problem. I'm on an iMac, using Firefox if that helps.
    Anyone have a solution?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 May, 2020 05:15 PM

Hello, and thank you both for asking about it.

Almost always, the problem with displaying media arises from something on your own browser. (I'm trying to think of an exception right now without success, but I might be forgetting something.) That can mean either a security setting built in to your browser or, often more likely, an extension you have on your browser.

I checked Firefox on a Mac just now (without extensions) and found that any tweets with embedded video DO successfully display the video. That's so even though I have the "strict" security setting on the browser at the moment. So I'll recommend that you both check out the behavior of tweet-embedded videos with your browser extensions disabled.

The easiest way to do that (though it doesn't necessarily work for all extensions) is to go to a private window to view the site. The private mode (incognito for Chrome) generally disables extensions, so you can see how the site behaves with a bare browser. If the tweets work well there, then you have at least part of an answer. Then you may have to go through a process of elimination to determine which one(s) to disable for the site. The first place to start is with adblockers and third-party tracker blockers.

If this doesn't do the trick for you, please return with an update and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your support of the site.

3. 3 Posted by jold on 30 May, 2020 06:37 PM

Hi,
    Thanks for your thoughtful (and speedy) reply. I finally did some of the things you suggested. I’m still having the same problem. I still get the 'media could not be played' error message.
    To be clear this suddenly, randomly started happening one day. Never had a problem before that. I had not added or changed anything in my browser or my computer.
    I have never had any problems viewing media on any other website or platform. Only DK.

~ I ‘refreshed’ Firefox which removes all extensions/add-ons (even though the only one I had was AdBlock Plus).

~ When I opened a private window, as you suggested, I don’t get the normal looking tweet with a video to click on.
     I only get something that looks like this:
    Lori Lightfoot not holding back on Trump! pic.twitter.com/rNOVT8D42N <https://t.co/rNOVT8D42N>— Ⓜ️arcusD ▶️ (@_MarcusD3_) May 29, 2020 <https://twitter.com/_MarcusD3_/status/1266471344683827201?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>
    When I click the link, it opens Twitter in another tab. Again, no problem watching the vid on twitter.

Any other suggestions or fixes would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Janet

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 03 Jun, 2020 05:25 PM

Hi again. Thanks for the update.

That the tweet includes those special characters instead of the proper display points to something else browser-related. I recommend that you go to the Mozilla support site and search for commentary on Twitter-related problems. It is also true that Twitter recently changed their formatting, and that might also be a factor in what you are encountering now.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac