I'm having an odd problem with the Image Library losing images during a session

siab

15 May, 2020 08:27 PM

I was in the editor, using the Image Library to first upload an image for a diary, and then going back into it for a spacer graphic that I use a lot. When I went to grab the image, it and perhaps another half dozen or so images were missing, in a bunch, from the IL. I closed the draft, went out to the Front Page, went directly to the IL, and the images were in the order they had been previously. When I went back and reopened the diary, I could also access them.

The same thing has happened at least once before - I think while I was commenting, but I'm not sure. Just FYI

1. 1 Posted by siab on 15 May, 2020 08:28 PM

Oh - Dell inspiron laptop, Windows 8.1, latest Firefox update.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 May, 2020 04:21 PM

Hello, and sorry for the delayed reply.

So if I follow, it appears that the IL for your own images sometimes doesn't fully load? And that this can happen from one moment to the next, seemingly? This bunch that temporarily went missing, was it your most recently uploaded images? Or is there any other way to characterize the group?

That's certainly curious. I will ask about the caching process for images. My initial thought is that it could be a network hiccup, but I am not positive about that cause.

Computers!

3. 3 Posted by siab on 20 May, 2020 04:50 PM

The bunch that went missing began with #661012 , and ended with #758547, as best I can remember. A block of about 18. The reason I noticed the earlier instance is that that same block includes my siggraphic, which I tend to use half a dozen or so times a day. When it went missing, I did some swearing. The spacer bar is two images after the siggraphic, and they are both graphics I uploaded very shortly after your purge of graphics brought in prior to December, 2015.

I couldn't swear that it was the same block both times, but it did include both those images.

4. 4 Posted by siab on 20 May, 2020 04:55 PM

Ah - one more instance, even farther back - not too long after the purge, because the images that went missing then were a series of thumbnail pie images that I had recently uploaded. to replace some of the pie images that went away. The only ones I noticed missing at the time were those images, which are a block just slightly more recent than the one I mentioned in the above comment. So this has been off and on since the purge, though fortunately more off than on.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 May, 2020 07:23 PM

Back. The consensus here is that the storage system for Images, once they are fully uploaded, is extremely stable. If for some reason a group of them is winking in and out, in effect, it is almost certainly due to a hiccup in the network or in your browser--meaning that there was a little blip in the connection when you returned to the library.

Unlike the great Image Purge, there's no need to worry now that the images will permanently go missing.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 20 May, 2020 07:23 PM.

7. siab re-opened this discussion on 21 May, 2020 05:00 AM

8. 6 Posted by siab on 21 May, 2020 05:00 AM

I'm not particularly worried about it - merely reporting an unusual happening that you might have been interested in. Database hiccups are always one of the more interesting problems, especially when the database is as large and growing as fast as this one is. I certainly hope your initial estimate of the problem is correct. Thanks for taking the time to kick it up the chain.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac