I can't use the link icon

Anne in NY

13 May, 2020 11:13 PM

I have tried several different ways to link using the link icon. None seem to work. What are the steps or please direct me to a resource for this.

Thank you

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 May, 2020 11:30 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

I split off your question because it was not related to the original subject of that thread.

If you're using the link tool on a desktop browser, it should be relatively easy to complete. The process is the same in almost every aspect whether you are writing a comment or drafting a story.

Clicking the little "link" icon will open a pop-up window right where your cursor is. The URL you want the link text to redirect to goes in the top text box. (You must use the full URL, starting with https:// or http://.) The text you want to have displayed as a hyperlink goes in the bottom text box.

There are two ways to supply the text *you want to use for the hyperlink. One is to type it out, then select (highlight) the text for your hyperlink, *then click on the link icon. When it opens, the link pop-up will show that highlighted text in the lower text window.

The other way is to put your cursor where you want the hyperlink text to be displayed, then click the link icon. You'll enter the text you want for the link and then paste in the URL you want the redirect to use.

In all cases, you must click the Insert Link button to complete the process.

Once you have inserted the link, you'll see your hyperlinked text display in orange, or brown. Most likely, it will be brown because that's the color for a link that you have already visited within that same browser window. You'll have the opportunity to test the link by opening it in a new tab before you publish the story or the comment.

There is no easy way to edit a link once you've inserted it. Your only real option is to delete that hyperlink from the draft and start over.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to return if you have more questions.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 13 May, 2020 11:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac