Distorted Diary Layout

jtg

03 May, 2020 09:19 PM

I posted a diary at:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5/3/1942015/-Needs-Request-for-May-and-Teaching-Credential-Update

I have gotten some feedback that the format is distorted into a think column that is almost unreadable.

However, not everybody who views my diary is reporting viewing problems, but enough are seeing the problem that this appears to be real.

I do not know what is going on. As far as I can tell, I did not do anything in the formating to cause this sporadic problem.

Can you help?

#jtg

1. 1 Posted by jtg on 04 May, 2020 03:15 AM

No reply. I guess the "help desk" is not much help.

I think i figured it out. It was not something obvious.

One of the images I used had the "attribution" block distorted with a long string of nonsense letters. I deleted those letters from the attribution and the page alignment was fixed.

This was not something obvious, and why it worked I do not know. I just know when working with computers sometimes after you've addressed the obvious things you have to look at the "it can't be that can it?' things.

#jtg

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 May, 2020 04:28 AM

Hello, and thanks for asking for help.

There are some interesting issues that show up with this post, though it's difficult to tell from your end (or ours) what might have prompted the difficulty that some of your readers were having. Without knowing what operating system and browser your readers were using, it's not at all simple to narrow down the possible causes for this odd display. We have seen it from time to time, though, or something like it, and usually it has stemmed from the presence of some unusual factors in the story. One major category of causes includes the one you note, the (inadvertent) clash of some kind of formatting with our own site's coding. If I've read the comments correctly, it seems that some folks had this display problem while others did not, so that does suggest that a particular relationship between that unusual code + our site + the user's computer was necessary to cause the problem.

If you encounter something like this again, we'd like to encourage you to tell your readers to open a Helpdesk ticket. The pertinent detail to include would be the user's operating system and browser, and a link to the specific story, as well as all possible details about the story load, appearance, and function that they can report. (Screenshots are very helpful!)

I did notice something else quite interesting about the captions on some, but not all, of your images within the story. Did you notice that some but not all story captions have an extraneous digit and a little extra text as well? I'm going to investigate that further and get back to you if I have further questions or some insight to offer.

Thanks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac