Can't sign petitions

KATHRYN ELALOUF (unverified)

24 Apr, 2020 04:06 PM

Is someone sabotaging the petitions? When I click, the little wheel turns and turns but never gets anywhere. I have been unable to sign several petitions due to this problem.

1. 1 Posted by Karen Kennedy (... on 24 Apr, 2020 04:45 PM

I'm having the same problem - hope it can be resolved!

2. 2 Posted by Mag.phil. DD ... on 25 Apr, 2020 10:09 PM

if i want to sign a petition i reach only the impressum. and i can't find a way out to the petition which i want. that's - sorry - bullshit. i work in gernany for the u.s. democrats.

3. 3 Posted by RITA LEMKUIL (u... on 26 Apr, 2020 10:37 PM

GET RID OF THAT STUPID CAPTCHA BULLSHIT!!!!!!!! I CAN'T SIGN THE PETITIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 4 Posted by Kathryn Elalouf... on 26 Apr, 2020 10:49 PM

Looks like someone is sabotaging Daily Kos!

5. 5 Posted by Rita Lemkuil (u... on 27 Apr, 2020 10:12 AM

TRUMP BEHIND THE SABOTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE MUST END THAT
    THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Apr, 2020 08:51 PM

Hello, everyone, and thanks for your questions. There are actually two of them here, and the explanation for each of them is benign.

I'm supplying the standard information about both, because there is nothing in any of your comments here that suggest anything out of the ordinary--though of course there is no obvious way for you to know that to be true. Nowadays, it is certainly easy to jump to the worst case. If you read these explanations, then try the steps suggested as they are relevant to you, and you still think that something remains unanswered, please feel free to reply.

First, let's cover the difficulty in getting petitions to load in the first place. If petition pages do not load from the links you get in the Daily Kos Recommended email, that is almost always due to something on your end of the communication sequence. The two most common causes are that 1) an add-on or extension is preventing the petition from loading properly, or that 2) your browser's security settings are set very high.

For the first possibility, try this to troubleshoot: Login to your email in a private or incognito window, which should disable all extensions. Then go to one of our emails and click on a link to a petition. If the petition loads there, then you know that some sort of extension is the source of the problem. Identifying the exact extension is then a matter of trial and error, starting with any ad blockers.

For the second possibility, keep in mind that lately some browsers --especially Firefox--are upping their default security settings. It's worth taking a look at your own browser's settings to see whether there is a lower setting available (that you're comfortable using). Usually, adjusting that browser setting will permit the whole process to proceed as intended.

Now, about the CAPTCHA issue.

When we create petitions through which people write to their own representatives, using our suggested language to do so, we are making use of a connection that feeds your words into each representative's own communication system. We have zero control over how they design the connections, and they do vary quite a bit from office to office in lots of details.

What is happening is that your representative(s) have a captcha in place for incoming messages. Not all of them do, but you lucked out, unfortunately. It's understandable for anyone receiving large amounts of incoming messages to want to screen for bot-mail or spam, and that's what the captcha is designed to protect against.

WE don't have any way to eliminate or override that requirement. There are browser extensions available to do the job, but that is something you would have to investigate.

There is something else you could do, however, to make sure your message gets through. It wouldn't get counted in our statistics if you do choose this alternative, but really the important thing is to get your opinion delivered. It's always possible for you to write a postcard or letter or email to your own representative using as much of our suggested language as you like. Or, you can call an office and leave a voicemail or talk with a staffer. It's not as convenient as our petition method, true. But it does permit you to take part in the campaign.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for your support of the site's mission.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 27 Apr, 2020 08:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac