Are diaries supposed to change all old/clicked comments back to as if new within some brief number of days?

mettle fatigue

06 Apr, 2020 01:40 AM

Commenters sometimes first arrive at my diaries several days after posting, while comments are still open, of course, so I do patrol back in order to be responsive. But with the most recent comments-tech, I'm still finding it very laborious to do, because within a few days every comment previously clicked will have gone "new" again. Is this a glitch only a few of us are experiencing, or is it just how that aspect of comments is functioning these days?

Either way, any chance it's an easy fix? I guess it might be intentionally designed, but I can't think of what advantage it offers, and as a disabled person trying to be supportive to others in this bad moment in history, I'm struggling in the realworld myself and would like to not burn up more time and effort (hand/wrist/finger/arm damages do make it a painful effort) than necessary in offering that support.

Thanks for whatever can be fixed or reply.
Take care, stay safe.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Apr, 2020 09:40 PM

Hello, and thanks for raising this particular question.

To make sure I understand fully: You are visiting a story a few days after the last time you visited it, and you are discovering that the comments previously "marked as read" have not retained that condition? So you're seeing many more orange dots than you expect?

Are you also seeing a discrepancy in the read/unread comment tracker, displayed at the top of a story or in the sidebar thumbnail lists?

We do want this feature to work in both cases, so we appreciate the alert. Thanks also for reminding us of the browser/operating system you use.

2. 2 Posted by mettle fatigue on 07 Apr, 2020 04:18 AM

Yes to both questions. Sometimes the read/unread comment counter up at the top right shows ALL the comments as if new. I'm used to it at diaries where the commenting period has closed, but it's weird when the comment period is still open.

I think I heard at some point a while back that at some point the system would automatically disappear the orange dos at each comment the author replies to or recommends, but as far as I can tell, that hasn't happened yet.

Could any of this because I turn the actual power off on my computer at the end of the day?

Sorry I forget to say my browser is firefox, updated as often as they send updates. The OS is ... heck. I think it's windows xp for networks or something like that. (I'm not actually in a nework, it just was the OS my technician gave me). I'll try to doublecheck at the end of the day/night and will add another comment here if I got it rong.

Thanks for that reply.

3. 3 Posted by mettle fatigue on 29 May, 2020 10:09 AM

It's looking as if the renewed orange dots at comments in already seen/read comment threads, as if the comments were never clicked on, might be an artifact of switching between old-style comments in order to have collapsibility, and new style comments in order for new shift-K and shift-J to work.

...um, is there a reason for new-style comments not being collapsible, or are they actually still collapsible but it's done differently than clicking on pointies?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 May, 2020 08:39 PM

Hello again.

Yes, definitely, there will not be a carry-over between viewing old-style comments and new comments.

The new ones should also collapse. You're not able to make that happen? It's possible to do so either globally, site-wide, through the Comment Settings link at the top of any comment section (Collapse on Load needs to be checked) or locally by clicking on any string/substring within a comment section. In other words, collapsing a comment should close all its child comments also, all the way down. The little carat at the top left corner of the new comments is what does the trick.

If you find it's not working for you, please let us know.

5. 5 Posted by mettle fatigue on 29 May, 2020 11:06 PM

Thanks for pointing out the carat at the left top of new comments.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 May, 2020 11:34 PM

You are welcome. Thanks for the update.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 29 May, 2020 11:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac