no content

ikramer614

26 Mar, 2020 08:10 PM

Almost a year later, and I have no content today either. I'm using an apple laptop. I'l try my iPad.
Please fix this folks at Daily Kos. Please?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Mar, 2020 08:29 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

I've split your ticket off into its own thread, because whatever the problem is, it's not at all related to the other concern from late 2019. That one affected users on iPads/iPhones with old iOS. This way the communication here will not ping all of the other folks who were discussing the earlier issue over there.

We ask people to take a couple of key troubleshooting steps to make sure that it's not something "local" to your computer alone. First, we suggest that people clear the cache for Daily Kos on their browser. It's relatively easy to get it to be full enough that the site does not load already. After you clear the cache, then please close and reopen the browser, and try to load the site. If it still doesn't behave properly, then the second step is as follows.

Open a private/incognito window on your laptop. (I assume you are using Safari but you might not be.) Within that window, open the Daily Kos home page. If it loads properly, and if individual story pages load properly, then you've not only found a workaround but you've also taken a solid step toward diagnosis of the problem.

Many browser extensions (add-ons, plug-ins) do not play well with the code we use on our site. We can and do test our code for a wide range of browsers, but we simply cannot test our site function for extensions. If the site loads well in a private/incognito window, which typically disables most though not all extensions, then you have a very strong indication that one or more of your extensions is interfering with site load. (Even if you thought all was well, and you have not installed any new extensions, a silent update of an extension could have occurred to trigger the problem.) Then you'll have the task of discovering which one(s) to disable for Daily Kos, if you so choose. Adblockers are a frequent culprit, but there are others.

Please try these two steps. If they don't do the trick, then feel free to return here with some additional information for us to use to help you.

1. Your specific combination of browser and operating system.
    2. The path you used to get to the site (Through a link in a Daily Kos email? Through a search or some other link? Simply typing the home page URL into your browser?)
    3. If it is a problem for a particular story, not the whole blog, then we'd like to have the URL for the story.

Thanks for your support of the site.

2. 2 Posted by ikramer614 on 26 Mar, 2020 08:51 PM

Hi,
    I couldn't figure out how to clear my cache, for anything, actually. So I cleared 2 months of browsing history. (I use Firefox on an apple laptop) It appears to have done the job.
    When this is over, I'll see my grandson again and ask him how to clear the cache directly.
    I loved OS 7.1, back in the day. Everything was so intuitive. (Too many layers these days.)

Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Ilene

On Thursday, March 26, 2020, 4:29:55 PM EDT, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 26 Mar, 2020 08:56 PM

Ilene,
    Here's an article that may help you in the future. It includes instructions for quite a few browsers, etc.
    How to Clear Your Browser's Cache
    https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

4. 4 Posted by ikramer614 on 27 Mar, 2020 01:07 AM

This is all well and good if I was using Chrome as my browser. But I was using Firefox.
    I downloaded Chrome, thinking maybe there was some connection, but there was only 1 megabyte of cache!

On Thursday, March 26, 2020, 4:56:09 PM EDT, Eyesbright <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Mar, 2020 03:42 PM

Thanks, Eyesbright. Yes, WikiHow is generally a good resource for a lot of instructions.

It is perhaps worth your while to look again at that resource, Ilene. Chrome is the one they feature, but the little inset box to the right of the main section of text provides a link to another section where they explain the process for Firefox.

I'm closing this ticket for now. Thanks to you both.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 27 Mar, 2020 03:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac