New group Covid19 state by state tech problem

elenacarlena

20 Mar, 2020 09:32 PM

Greetings! We have a new group within which to post factual Covid19 information. Limelite chose to use Covid19 in the title, no dashes nor spaces. Nor extra letters! But somewhere along the way, DK5 decided it was also Covidd19. This is obviously a misspelling, which we prefer not to propagate.

Limelite made me an additional Admin in hopes I could help with this tech issue, but I don't see anything where we could change the title. In "Edit Profile," it appears correctly. I tried placing the correct title again and saving again, it made no difference in those areas in error.

In places such as the stream, it appears OK at the top but not below. See, for example, https://www.dailykos.com/user/COvidd19%20State%20by%20State/stream Note the double D in the URL. If I change that manually to a single D, I get an error message, "the page does not exist". Odd. At the top of the diary page, etc., it is spelled correctly.

So I'm hoping you can fix or let us know how to do so? It doesn't look great for a group that wants to reliably report facts, to sometimes misspell the virus' name!! TYFYH!

ec

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Mar, 2020 10:11 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

The problem is unfortunately unresolvable in its present formulation. The group name, which is what you see in the URL, is even more permanent than a username. It takes special developer work to alter a group name, and so we don't make exceptions to won't-change policy for a group name.

The best you can do is what you did in changing the "nickname" or blog name. Of course, that's not helpful for Search purposes, since that relies upon the canonical group name present in the URL.

The other possibility would be to create a new group, taking extra care to avoid typos when it is set up.

You could call it something like -- COVID19 by States and Territories -- since that would be perhaps a more inclusive name. Or something else, of course.

I see you have a bunch of posts already in this group as well as some members. It's not pleasant to redo these steps (to republish the group posts so far to the new group blog and reinvite folks) but it is possible.

Sorry. I wish I had a more encouraging response to offer.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 20 Mar, 2020 10:11 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac