embedding a video from NY Times

dabug

19 Mar, 2020 05:27 PM

Trying to embed a video from NY Times gives the error "unable to embed video from non-whitelisted source."
Why is NY Times not on a whitelist?
They are trying to present a video that shows 45's lies about the coronavirus, they are offering an embed link, and we're unable to use it here on this site.
Why?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Mar, 2020 06:23 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

We know that a number of reputable media outlets do create their own videos, and in many ways it would be helpful to be able to whitelist more of them than we do.

I can't speak to the specific details about why the NYT videos (and others) are not included in our eligible sources, but in general it's true that each source not already cleared has to be addressed separately by developers writing our code. That's a time-consuming process, and it doesn't often rise to the top of our priority list. Also, I will note that the NYT (and other sources) might not want to have their videos available to be shared widely. The NYT has a pretty high and exclusive paywall, and they appear to be interested in safeguarding their revenue stream. Yes, at the moment they are enabling access to coronavirus-related content at no cost, but then there are code restrictions that would have to be taken into account if they permitted video embedding only on certain topics. In short, it's a complicated matter with no simple, one-size-fits-all solution.

I can raise the issue to our product team, noting your request for this option. Meanwhile, it would be perfectly fine to include a hyperlink in your comment or story directing readers to the video on its original site. Sorry we don't have a better solution for you at the moment.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2020 06:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac