Diaries Not Displaying Properly

SFSister

07 Mar, 2020 12:40 AM

When I click on a diary in the right sidebar, it only displays the top part of the diary on the top of the page, while it displays the bottom half, usually the comments, from the previous diary I was reading on the bottom half of the screen.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Kos site, or my own computer. I'm running the latest Firefox browser on a Windows 10 desktop.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by SFSister on 10 Mar, 2020 12:43 AM

Well, I'm not sure what I am, but I wasn't banned. The diaries just didn't display. Still, the problem must have been the site, because I just looked at it and all is well. Fingers crossed.

On Monday, March 9, 2020, 10:50:11 AM PDT, KCHereICome <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Mar, 2020 08:40 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

There are definitely many points along the way, starting from our own servers that send out the site contents and ending with your own browser displaying it, where problems can arise. If it's a problem that many people are having, and it's caused by something we did, then we (usually) have many reports here at Helpdesk along with many internal alarms to alert us to it.

It's always fine to ask, I hasten to add. But if you don't see a number of public tickets reporting an issue, then it's a good bet that it is a "local" problem, affecting either you alone or limited to users who are on the same combination of browser and operating system as you are. To save a step in later diagnostics, if that proves to be necessary, it's generally a good idea to get into the habit of doing some basic troubleshooting first--so that then you can report the results to us. It speeds up the process overall and gives you some tools for resolving most of the temporary problems that arise.

First, try a hard refresh/new browser tab for the page. Sometimes the first page load was just badly timed.

Second, clear your cache and cookies for the site. (The instructions for this process are browser-dependent.) If you are a regular, steady reader of Daily Kos then you could accumulate surprisingly quickly enough old data in such volume that it interferes with the loading of new data. After you take this step, it's often a good idea to reinforce it by closing your browser and rebooting your computer.

Third, if neither of those two steps addresses the problem, then see how the site behaves if you open it while you're using a private or incognito window. The reason we suggest trying that mode is because it disables most (though not all) extensions or add-ons to your browser. Some extensions simply don't "play well" with Daily Kos, and their presence on your browser can have negative impact on your ability to use the site. If the site loads well while you're in incognito/private mode, then you'll have to figure out which extension(s) to deactivate for Daily Kos. Most of them do permit some exceptions to be applied short of an outright disable/uninstall.

If none of these initial steps does the trick for you, then what we most need from you in order to diagnose a problem is also a three-step process. (You've done most of these already, for which I thank you.)

First, please tell us what browser and operating system you use. We need this information to be able to replicate the issue on our own devices, which is fundamental to diagnosing it.

Second, which is actually in several related parts: please tell us what page you are viewing when you have this problem, and how you arrived at that page. It's especially pertinent to know your path for reaching our page if you started from a Daily Kos Recommended email, or if you see the problem on some pages and not others. Specific links to problem pages (unless it's the home page) are also very useful.

Third, an optional step: it is helpful for us to see a screenshot if you can capture one. The Helpdesk permits attachments up to 10MB in size.

Thanks for your support of the site and your interest in making sure that it is working properly.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 10 Mar, 2020 08:40 PM.

4. SFSister re-opened this discussion on 11 Mar, 2020 04:05 AM

5. 3 Posted by SFSister on 11 Mar, 2020 04:05 AM

Thanks for your detailed and well thought out response. I'll keep this email marked in case the problem happens again. Meanwhile, all seems well.
    Alice

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 1:40:59 PM PDT, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 Mar, 2020 12:23 AM

You are very welcome. Thanks for letting us know you found it helpful. Good to hear you've had no repeat, too.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 Mar, 2020 12:23 AM.

8. SFSister re-opened this discussion on 12 Mar, 2020 04:25 AM

9. 5 Posted by SFSister on 12 Mar, 2020 04:25 AM

And thank you for responding when I needed your help.
    Alice

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 5:23:57 PM PDT, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

10. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 12 Mar, 2020 06:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac