Comment section in Mark Sumner's diaries

aggieric

04 Mar, 2020 10:13 PM

Something very odd going on for me; when I open one of Mark Sumner's diaries, I cannot see any of the comment thread. This only happens for his diaries. I can see comment threads for every other front pager; I can see comment threads for rec list, recent diaries, etc. It's been like this for several days now.

I tried to attach a PDF of a recent Joan diary and a recent Mark diary to illustrate; but Mark's diary had 150 comments and the file was too large.

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by aggieric on 04 Mar, 2020 10:14 PM

Let's try this.

2. 2 Posted by aggieric on 04 Mar, 2020 10:14 PM

Ah, one at a time works.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 04 Mar, 2020 10:29 PM

Hello, and thanks for sending these attachments.

I'd like to get some more information. How are you obtaining these PDFs? I ask because they're displaying site content quite differently from the way I would expect--so I do hope that they are not literally what you see.

That's really just a side question, because I'm pretty sure I can resolve the main issue regarding Mark's posts not displaying comments.

There is an easy workaround (easy, that is, if you can tolerate the new comments mode). Two workarounds, actually: one that is global, for all stories on the site, and one that is particular to a given story.

To set the display of ALL comments in EVERY story to be in the new mode, go to this variation of the home page URL: https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/true As you may know, this is now the default display, but if you're loading old-style comments routinely now at some point you went to this version instead: https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false

Using this global true/false is the easiest way to switch. But there is also a way to change the comment display mode on individual stories. To do so requires a little more precision in altering a story URL.
    To have an individual story display its comments in the NEW mode, add this string to the end of the story URL: ?new_comments=true
    Thus, after you add that string, a URL from a recent story by Mark Sumner will look like this:
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/23/1913464/-Trump-s-trial-day-one-A-masterclass-from-House-Democrats-and-empty-seats-from-Senate-Republicans?new_comments=true Changing the setting for an individual story will not affect whatever you have for the global setting. (The reversal of this setting is of course to replace true with false.)

There is a little wrinkle to know if you wind up needing to switch a non-FP story to show the NEW comments. If a Community story has gained enough recommendations, it may have another little string starting with a ? after the story title. Don't worry about it; you can still append the ?new_comments=true string to the very end. Just make sure you don't cut off any of the URL before you stick that part on.

We have identified the bug, but we have a lot happening behind the scenes right now and don’t know how soon we can address it. Thanks for your understanding, and apologies for the inconvenience.

If the above information does not resolve the problem for you, please return to let us know.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 04 Mar, 2020 10:29 PM.

5. aggieric re-opened this discussion on 05 Mar, 2020 03:25 AM

6. 4 Posted by aggieric on 05 Mar, 2020 03:25 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try. To answer your question I was lazy; I just right clicked on the page, selected "print to PDF", saved them as such and attached them. That's not really what my pages look like.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Mar, 2020 06:35 PM

OK great, good to know we don't have some wildly disparate displays happening for some folks.

If this isn't a solution to your issue, please let us know. I'm going to close this ticket but you can reopen it if need be. Thanks again.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 06 Mar, 2020 06:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac