Why aren't the comics appearing?

Steven Berger (unverified)

21 Feb, 2020 03:18 PM

I can go to the comics page, but since Tuesday all I see are the "Headlines" for the comics but no content. What's up?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 Feb, 2020 10:08 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

I'm going to guess that you are viewing the site via IE11, though you didn't say. We did have a bug affecting IE11 users show up late Wednesday afternoon. If you are not on IE11, then please do return with some details about the browser and operating system you are using.

I have good news and good news (though it might sound like bad news at first).

The main good news is that we did identify the source of the problem, and we've addressed it. The repair was deployed just after 2 PM ET this afternoon. If you haven't already tried to access the site with IE11 for the past hour or so, I'd encourage you to give it a try. (You may need to close and reopen your browser to get a clean reload.)

It is very likely that whatever problems anyone may have had with other, older, browsers will also have been addressed by this fix. If it turns out that they were not, please start a NEW ticket here at Helpdesk so as not to ping everyone on IE11 who has been on this particular thread.

The other part of this good news is that we have a plan in place to help safeguard against similar partial site outages on IE11 moving forward. So, in the short term, we are likely not to have the same sort of problem emerging suddenly.

The information I am about to explain may sound like bad news initially but it is actually good news in the long term. That is: our support for IE11 is diminishing, as is true across the internet. Eventually, the Daily Kos tech time needed to make programming tweaks only for this browser will become unjustifiable, since other key software we use continues to diverge from the requirements imposed by IE11.

Why do I insist on framing this as good news? If you take a little time to search for topics such as "IE11 end of life" or "IE11 security vulnerabilities" you'll encounter many concerns about the browser related to its bugginess, security weaknesses, and feature incompatibility. As one key example, consider this article from February, 2019, which quotes Microsoft's own head of cybersecurity (!) as discouraging people from using IE11 as a browser. In his phrase, IE11 exists now primarily to be a "compatibility solution" for companies that have custom software designed for IE.

We don't have a fixed date in mind for such a cutoff, so please know you have some time to make a switch. We have concern for the many, many users who rely on computers in public libraries, which still seem dominated by machines running IE11. Libraries, too, will eventually have to upgrade their software, and if you're at all able to encourage your local public library to make this investment soon that might be a good project to tackle.

We are also mindful that some folks have older hardware, unable to be updated, that is not easily or affordably replaced. Our desire to remain as accessible as possible does remain strong. But please treat this incident as a prompt to start planning a shift to a more modern browser as soon as you can. Once you become acclimated, you'll find them much more flexible and user-friendly than IE11.

Thanks again for your patience with this latest glitch--and as always, thanks again for your support of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 21 Feb, 2020 10:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac