Gross ads won't stop

Dee Smit (unverified)

17 Feb, 2020 02:12 PM

Hi, I know you don't control google ads per se but I've browsed in regular and private browsers on your site and this truly disgusting yellow ear wax photo is the only consistent ad on your site. Like four times in The same article, Then on every article i read. I report it over and over as repeated, and even as inappropriate. Its so gross i honestly have to stop reading your site. I know you're going to say Google controls this, but it is only on your site, not any other site, so an algorithm is wrong here. I read like 15 sites in the same browser daily and i am not logged in as a user on those sites, but this gross large yellow ear wax photo just shows up on yours.
Please check what settings your ads are on, something is just in Your site. I am happy to see ads as part of my experience but Large yellow earwax 15+ times during a three article read daily is driving me away from your excellent content.
Thank you, Dee

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Feb, 2020 09:00 PM

Hello, and thanks for reporting your issue with this ad.

You're correct in noting that we have very little control over Google ads, since they are micro-targeted. Here is a resource explaining our policy and your options.

I'm not seeing the ad in question at the moment, so I don't have other suggestions to offer yet. But if you can manage to get a screenshot of it--and also describe where on the page it is displayed--that might be of some use to us in seeking to have it quashed.

I will also note that it is possible to subscribe to the site for $40 annually, which can give you an an-free experience. Of course, we realize that not every site user is interested. But here is a link to a resource explaining that process.

Thanks again for your support of the site.

2. 2 Posted by stephen (unveri... on 02 May, 2020 07:54 PM

This ad is happening on many websites, it's disgusting and hundreds of people have reported it to Google to no avail.

3. 3 Posted by Claire Ingoldsb... on 12 May, 2020 10:22 AM

Also really bothered by this ad.
    Don’t want to google anything anymore as I’m so revolted by it.

4. 4 Posted by Justin (unverif... on 19 May, 2020 07:25 AM

If you opt out of Google’s targeted advertising then this is the advert they constantly show you.
    It’s incredible childish or even vindictive by google to do this.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 May, 2020 04:37 PM

I hear you and agree with your objections to Google's strategies.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 19 May, 2020 04:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac